samuel Lee bone and pewter chef knife age

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warshard

Reaction score
What is the era of production of the Samuel Lee polished bone and pewter chef/kitchen knives and seeking assistance in finding information on this subject--
Thank you in advance.
Regards
Warshard

Roughly 1900-1950....any chance you might be able to post some pictures?
-Mark

http://1drv.ms/1ZOnEf0

After a second attempt at posting photo, here art two images 1)Knife; 2)Makers Mark

My Levine reference states that "Lee" was an LF&C mark used specifically for sharpening steels which is incorrect as evidenced by the mark on the knife image. This piece is in excellent condition and I would like to know the era of manufacture: shape of the blade (plus swage) and handle type should indicate, but my research has not rendered any information. (The blade shape and handle type should be a dead giveaway to a knowledgeable individual regarding the time period in which this knife was made.) The knife's measurements are: overall--9 1/2 inches; blade--5 3/4 inches...
Regards to all--

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this knife for a couple of days now and finally found the time to pull out my books and see if I could help you here.

My initial thought is that this is a table knife and I still feel this way, looks late 19th century to me.

As you already know, Samuel Lee was a trademark used by Landers, Frary, & Clark (LF&C) but what might surprise you is that this is a trademark usually seen on cleavers and butchering tools. I've been on the lookout for Samuel Lee cleavers for many years and in all my searching I don't recall ever seeing an LF&C table knife with this mark on it, none that I recall having a swage or any of this particular pattern of pewter inlays. IMO this would have been a higher end knife and might be rather rare. Having said all that I doubt it has much re-sale value, it's more of a collector's prize than anything.

DSC03435 (2).jpg

9 1/2" seems a bit bigger than any table cutlery I've seen from this time period....and that logo placement seems awfully low in my eyes, like there should be more blade below it. It would be SO much work to turn a Lee butcher's knife into THIS, but that's what I see when I look at the blade. Can't help it.
-Mark

I've been a practicing cutler for quite a few years now, Mark, and I do not see any indication's that this knife could ever have been cut down--failed to mention that the blade has good flexibility as in a boning knife, but I do not think that is it's intended purpose; can't quite understand why there's not much info on this type of flatware/cutlery...

Back