Installing Wa Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave5440

Founding Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have links to any videos on installing a wa handle, failing that any step by step instructions
Thanks
Dave

Dave, I've seen a few short clips on YouTube but they mostly deal with using the burn method. Without trying to sound rude, let me say, this is a pretty straight forward deal.

1. Cover your blade using paper and painters tape
2. Cover your handle the same way 100% leaving only the opening in the ferrule where the tang is to fit
3. Dry fit your handle to make sure it sits straight and mark (using a sharpie) the top and bottom so that you don't flip it by accident and end up with a crooked handle
4. Clean the tang using a rough grit sand paper and then wipe down with acetone
5. Put on a pair of latex or like type gloves
6. Mix epoxy and fill the hole 3/4 of the way (depending on the epoxy, this may vary)
7. Place the blade into the handle making sure that everything is straight
8. Using a clamp or any other method, place the handle so that it knife is vertical with the tip pointing up so that the epoxy settles right and if it overflows, it pours onto the tape
9. Once the epoxy sets and dries, sand down any overflow at the ferrule
10. Remove the tape and paper

Hope this helps, if not, I may just make a video.

Regards,
MM

Or I can do it for you, since you're my Southern Ontario neighbour! ;)

Why not make the vid anyway? :my2cents:

That helps a lot, I haven't got the handle yet should be the next couple of days. It's a
Tojiro D Shaped Handle that i'm putting on my first attempt at knife making. Is the ferrule part of the handle
or is it 2 pieces(handle/ferrule)
Thanks again

Lefty-
Thanks for the offer , very generous but I want to do it myself. You're in Ontario? Cool.

The ferrule (bracelet) would be the top part of the handle, typically constructed of horn. It should be quite simple if the tang slot (hole) is predrilled for you, if not, it adds a couple of extra steps and makes it a bit more difficult, though not impossible.

The ferrule (bracelet) would be the top part of the handle, typically constructed of horn. It should be quite simple if the tang slot (hole) is predrilled for you, if not, it adds a couple of extra steps and makes it a bit more difficult, though not impossible.

Apparently it's predrilled, but I don't know the dimensions other than the height 10.75mm

Home Depot has some cheap and very handy microrasps, made by Sheffield, I believe. If you need to make the tang hole wider on handle/ferrule, they work really well.
PS. Go Leafs! ;)

Home Depot has some cheap and very handy microrasps, made by Sheffield, I believe. If you need to make the tang hole wider on handle/ferrule, they work really well.
PS. Go Leafs! ;)

At this point I haven't hardened it yet so I can change the tang size quick easily

Camera shy and unmotivated. :)

can't do anything about the motivated part, but many of these types of videos do not show faces anyway. Would be good for makers and for inquisitive people like us to see how its done.

I posted some pics of the way i do it in this thread:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?2244-Tang-slot

However this method assumes that you are making the handle yourself, and it is not the trad way to do it. I used a 1/2 inch dowel as this was the width of the tang and left room in the handle for me to shape it.

On Carters youtube channel there is a video as part of his Japan visit series that shows how handles are burnt in, if you are thinking of using this approach.

The key things to ensure are that the handle goes on straight and in line with the knife, with the entry point as neat as possible.

Would be cool to see a video of other peoples methods, also some pics of the knife and handle that you have would be cool

That helps a lot, I haven't got the handle yet should be the next couple of days. It's a
Tojiro D Shaped Handle that i'm putting on my first attempt at knife making. Is the ferrule part of the handle
or is it 2 pieces(handle/ferrule)
Thanks again

I know that this isn't what you're looking for but I thought that you'd enjoy seeing this anyway. Here's how your handle is made or very close to how it's made.

[video=youtube;Faq8fG7emYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faq8fG7emYQ[/video]

sakai-japanese-knives-40-1000.jpg

http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=241&resolution=low&page=2

burnt in ones dont use anything to fill in... others can be burnt in and sealed with epoxy

I've heard that Daniel O'Malley at EpicEdge recommends using sawdust when doing a burn in but from my reserach I've never seen this done in practice. It appears as though the holes are drilled, then burnt in with a tang shaped object, and then the just the heated tang itself is inserted for the last 5-10mm or so of burn in. This sets the handle on real tight, you'd be very surprised how tight actually. Like Jon said above, it's either burn in or epoxy.

Also, some get the tang slot (opening at the top) filled in with flexible wood putty too.

yeah... i do that too ;)

I did spend a pretty decent chunk of time training with the craftsmen doing handle installation in japan... everyone i trained with did something to seal the tang area (even though the took the time to show me both ways). The thing is they still do the burn in and then seal after that. You'd be surprised at how well it works and how easy/fast it is.

I always burn in the tangs on engraving tools, and it does indeed make for a secure junction when done right. I would drill an undersized hole to almost full depth and then burn the tang in. This left very little open at the entry point.

Thanks everybody I'm pretty sure I can pull it off now, great vids and pics
Thanks again
Dave

Back