Advice on Choosing a Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogsBreakfast

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
Chef’s knife / gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400USD is an absolute max, but I’d be MUCH more comfortable staying around $200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Exclusively at home (I’m a home cook)

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Mostly vegetable prep. Some slicing of boneless proteins, but no breaking down whole chickens, fish, etc. This should be a general purpose knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Replacing an 8.5” forged Henkels that will get relegated to beater duty.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cut, chop, slice (in descending order)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.

Longer flat spot in blade (less belly); better maximum sharpness and/or perception of sharpness due to thinner blade; better edge retention; better food release.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, but not freehand. I use an edge pro apex with a set of stones up to 10k. I don’t want to buy a knife that can’t be properly sharpened with that (e.g. too asymmetric).

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Not interested in learning to freehand. Happy to learn to use the edge pro better if needed.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Preferably not, but not totally closed to the possibility.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Based on research I had done here, I was looking at the Gesshin Kagero
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...cts/gesshin-kagero-240mm-powdered-steel-gyuto

I called Jon and he mentioned that might be a bit too prone to chipping for a first j-knife and asked me to look at a few other options.

1) Gesshin Ginga
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...oducts/gesshin-ginga-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

2) Gesshin Uraku
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...oducts/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

3) Gonbei Hammered Damascus
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ducts/gonbei-240mm-hammered-damascus-wa-gyuto

4) Gonbei AUS-10
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/aus-10-series/products/gonbei-aus-10-240mm-gyuto

Jon mentioned that the Gonbei AUS-10 was basically the same knife as the Gesshin Uraku, and the Uraku comes with a saya for the same price so between those two the Uraku seems to be the clear winner, but overall I was looking for something maybe a little nicer, particularly maybe bit better steel.

I’m going back and forth about the Gesshin Ginga. I’ve read a lot of good things about it, but I’m concerned it might be a bit too thin. Maybe I’m being too worried about this; I would keep the Henkels on hand if I wanted to do something that wasn’t gook for the Ginga (or whatever knife I ended up with). I guess I’m concerned about going from one extreme to another when I might be happier in the middle.

I’m also going back and forth about the Gonbei hammered Damascus. I’ve read good things about this knife as well, and the steel is reputed to be a bit better than the other Gonbei or the Uraku. My concern with this knife is the geometry. It’s thicker at the handle, then thins at the heel, then thickens again at the middle of the blade. That’s all within 0.5mm so probably no big deal, but my main concern is the thickness ½ way between the spine and edge. At 3.35mm that’s significantly thicker even than my Henkels, which is a little over 2mm at the same spot. I was looking for something that was going in the other direction (thinner, not thicker). The Gonbei is significantly thinner at the spine than the Henkels, but it’s the thickness behind the edge that really matters when it comes to moving through food and not wedging, right? Please correct me if I’m thinking about this all wrong, that’s why I’m here asking.

Anyway, I’d appreciate any advice from the forum on these knives or any other options. I appreciate Jon's assistance, but I'm willing to consider other vendors as well. Whether or not something is in stock at the moment is not terribly important (I can wait) as long as the knife is likely to come back in stock in the next few months.

Thank you!

You have found an excellent guide in Jon for your purchase. You will notice immediate differences with any of the knives you have mentioned compared with the Henkels. Good luck on entering the world of high quality kitchen knives. Before you know it we will have convinced you to leave behind the Edge Pro and start freehand sharpening, (that is after you have bought several gyutos). You will find lots of info by searching the forum.

I think you should just jump in for the Ginga. (I've never used one, but consistently hear good things about them.) I think you have the necessary mindset to be ready for this knife. Your concern will guide you, and just use the Henckels until you get a better sense of using a J-knife.

Ashi Hamono Ginga stainless 240 gyuto from bluewayjapan, $183: http://m.ebay.com/itm/231819936721?_mwBanner=1

Same knife as Gesshin Ginga just with less frills. That is, a slightly lower HT and looks like spine/choil could be eased with a bit of sandpaper. Does not come with saya. I love JKI but this is under $200 and actually in stock.

This knife will blow your mind, coming from a henckels. Bluewayjapan is a very reputable ebay vendor.

I appreciate the replies.

@Castalia - Thanks for the welcome, and I agree, I have already found a ton of information from this site, and am looking to learn more.

@toddnmd - I hear you, and there's definitely a part of my brain that's saying the same thing.

@chiffonodd - appreciate the link, and the lower price and in stock status is a big plus. It seems like rounding the choil and spine is no biggie. Wondering if I would regret the softer steel, esp with such a thin blade. I imagine no one would own both (too redundant) but has anyone had experience with both who could comment on the difference?

@Chicagohawkie - I appreciate the tip, but I think I would need a bit more hand-holding to select a knife from that site. From what little I could figure out, the stainless choices were a bit limited. Maybe one of these would be a good bet?
http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...atsuna-gyuto-240mm-inox-blade-chef-kn240.html

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/tesshu-wa-gyuto-240mm-vg10-steel-blade-chef-24010.html

I also ran across a few threads recommending Knives and Stones as a vendor, and found this knife on their site:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/

Could anyone help by pointing out pros and cons of this knife, especially with respect to others I'm considering (or should be considering, but I just don't know about)?

Thanks again!

I also ran across a few threads recommending Knives and Stones as a vendor, and found this knife on their site:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/

Could anyone help by pointing out pros and cons of this knife, especially with respect to others I'm considering (or should be considering, but I just don't know about)?

Tanakas rock! James package takes a well ground/heat treated knife and adds fit and finishing touches to take the knife to another level. I have the same knife in 270 (though not from James) and it is an excellent knife...not a laser, not hefty, good release and glides through most items. The steel seems to hold an edge for a decent length of time. The fact that I even use it (since it's stainless and not carbon:biggrin:) says a lot and in fact I used it to cook dinner this evening.

I jumped into this with a GG as my first J knife, after having "grown up" on Henckels Four Star. I liked it a lot and will always have a laser. GG, Tad Inox or Suisin IH. Good news is they are not very asymmetric so you can sharpen on your Edge Thingy. But you should also consider that food release is not a strong suit of lasers.

I use a little beefier knife for most work. Stainless or stainless clad. And I would suggest such a knife to transition into J knives. Examples that come to mind include the Uraku from Jon, Itinomonn from Maxim at JNS, and that Yanaka from James. If you like the hammered finish then EE offers a Yoshikane that should be quite nice and of course the Gonbie.

Clear as mud yet?

Tanaka Ginsan is nice knife--I have the 240 from Knives and Stones. Availability is a question . . .
I haven't used one, but you might also consider Tojiro Powdered Steel from Knives and Stones. http://www.knivesandstones.com/tojiro-powdered-high-speed-steel-gyuto-chef-240mm-f-521/ Not a knife that I've used, but the Tojiro DP is a typical entry level knife, but I think the PS sounds nicer and is worth the upgrade. Probably wouldn't feel a need to upgrade as soon as many people do coming from the DP. Seems like a good intro to J-knives. It's heftier than some of your other contenders, but a good part of that additional weight is probably from the handle.

Ginga thin profile nice knife. The Tanaka you posted from K&S also a great blade for the price. Tojiro powder steel 521 is heavier has almost no distal taper that gives it weight, but thin behind the edge where it counts.

All of the knives you are looking at are high quality stainless, these three knives tho different geometries have in common ease of sharpening and glide through food.

I think the Tanaka Ginsan would be my first choice among what I've found so far. Not as thin as the Ginga, but thinner than what I'm coming from. Hopefully they will be in stock soon.

The following two knives also seem like they might be good choices.

Kanehiro Ginsan Gyuto 240mm

Saji G3 Ginsan Gyuto 240mm

Can anyone comment on either of these? The Kanehiro seems like it might be a great contender. The Saji seems like it's also a great knife, but I haven't figured out if there's anything that makes it a $100 better knife.

Last edited:
I think the Tanaka Ginsan would be my first choice among what I've found so far. Not as thin as the Ginga, but thinner than what I'm coming from. Hopefully they will be in stock soon.

Can anyone comment on either of these? The Kanehiro seems like it might be a great contender. The Saji seems like it's also a great knife, but I haven't figured out if there's anything that makes it a $100 better knife.

The guy selling the tanaka ginsan is coming out with a new upscale line. Based on suisin sakura. Which is basically his signature line. Might be worth considering. Will probably have sexy handles and a cool saya.

Countless hours on the forums, with Jon and other sponsors is a great combination, sounds like you're well on your way. Great advice to be had here!

I picked up a 240 Ginsan from James a few months ago.
I'm getting to like it, a lot. It's up there with knives twice the price.
It would be my default recommendation at the moment.
Can't comment on the other two, sorry.

I wouldn't be pinning too many hopes on getting a Tanaka ginsan any time soon - word from James was that Tanaka cannot get a supply of the steel reliably any more and has abandoned it in favour of a VG-10 line.

If you have your mind set on Ginsan, consider the Sukenari Ginsan gyutos which Japanese Chef Knives have. There is a cheaper, stamped version and a more expensive forged version. I have no personal experience with Sukenari but they have a decent reputation, I believe.

There is a review of the stamped version of the Sukenari gyuto (bought at another site, it seems) which is relatively new in the review section of this forum. He / she sounds very positive about it.

Good luck with the quest !

Last edited:
He just posted on IG that there will soon be a few more available.
Not sure how many or what sizes, but if anyody wants one, now's the time.

I wouldn't be pinning too many hopes on getting a Tanaka ginsan any time soon - word from James was that Tanaka cannot get a supply of the steel reliably any more and has abandoned it in favour of a VG-10 line.

If you have your mind set on Ginsan, consider the Sukenari Ginsan gyutos which Japanese Chef Knives have. There is a cheaper, stamped version and a more expensive forged version. I have no personal experience with Sukenari but they have a decent reputation, I believe.

There is a review of the stamped version of the Sukenari gyuto (bought at another site, it seems) which is relatively new in the review section of this forum. He / she sounds very positive about it.

Good luck with the quest !

Latest posts

Back