Help finding a pro use knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaogm

Reaction score
Just a cook looking for a nice workhorse.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? gyuto/chefs

Are you right or left handed? right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) doesn't matter

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 250ish (not absolute, but reasonable I can be pushed...)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? pro

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? intricate prep work, line work such as slicing meats (tasting menu, not banging out food). I have butchers knives for butchery tasks. This knife will not see bone, but will see harder veg.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Mac Pro, I guess. The kitchen I'm moving to is fairly small. The 10" mac isn't comfortable in the space, plus I have an itch.

The mac is a fine knife, but I find using it all day to be tiresome. Short work isn't a problem.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push with a little rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? I would like a lighter, thinner knife with better edge retention. Something more comfortable for long days of prep would be nice too. I'm not concerned with looks.

A carbon knife is fine as long as it isn't overly reactive. I habitually wipe my knife after use, but liquids can splash when my back is turned.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Poly and rubber

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? NA

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? I already own sharpening tools

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I set out planning on buying a Kono HD2 210 gyuto (a knife I have coveted for a long while). I own a few sujihiki I bought years ago (prior to HH release) when it was fairly easy to get a Kono. Come to find out it is fairly hard now that they sell out very quickly and are a little more expensive.

I'm fine waiting for the right knife, but my work schedule doesn't let me wait at a computer for it to show back up in stock. Any good alternatives or should I wait?

Thanks for the help

Welcome!

Just curious as you say workhorse and then mention Konosuke. K being more on the lighter side (and not in my mind a workhorse but the term can be used more than one way)...guessing you want to limit thoughts mainly to lasers?

Welcome!

Just curious as you say workhorse and then mention Konosuke. K being more on the lighter side (and not in my mind a workhorse but the term can be used more than one way)...guessing you want to limit thoughts mainly to lasers?

I think of a workhorse as a knife I can use all day comfortably without any fatigue. Typically, I've found that lighter knives which take and maintain a great edge fall into that category. I'm not stuck on a laser or really anything.

I'm hoping to find a good, nimble knife that is comfortable to use for hours and can take and hold an edge. In my mind the Kono hits many of those points, but am open to going another direction.

Edit: And thank you for the kind welcome!

OK, makes sense. Since that is your criteria, i may suggest something like a Gesshin Kagero or perhaps another pm steel that will hold up to a good beating. BTW, the Kageros are currently out of stock so i realize that is not so much help. Though I have not used one, the Tojiro pm steel knives get pretty good reviews and they are available from James @ Knives and Stones here and would leave you a bit of cash leftover for a new stone or...

Tosho knife arts still has two 210 hd2 gyuto for sale. Prices are in cad so it should be in your budget.

Another choice is ashi hamono Ginga 210 gyuto Swedish stainless that bluewayjapan has on eBay store. I believe they were $155.

+1 won't find a better deal currently on a laser since AH stopper selling direct

I've read about the Gesshin Ginga 210 on Japanese Knife Imports. Are these the same knife? Or are they very similar?

Gesshin Ginga is essentially an improved version of the regular Ginga. So better fit and finish on handles, rounded spine/choil and different heat treatment to increase the hardness and includes a saya.

Since you have mentioned two very thin knives, Konosuke and Ginga, perhaps look at the Ikazuchi at JKI. I have been using a 240 for a few weeks and really like it. Stainless clad/blue super core. Great price, very thin and about as trouble free as a carbon knife gets (can handle stray splashes).

Oh and for what it is worth the Ikazuchi is every bit as thin behind the edge as my 270 white #2 Konosuke.

With really thin knives stiction is pretty bad. It doesn't bother me as much as some other people. I use them pretty much as 'work horses'. Not many task make me grab a thicker knife.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
rj

Itinomonn stainless-steel clad is another good option! Maksim @ Japanesenaturalstones sells it.

So many recommendations to research. Anyone have personal experience with these knives? I'm doing some reading, but that is very abstract compared to using the knives which isn't really an option.

Basically, I'm looking for help understanding advantages of the knives when compared?

Eg the konosuke and the Ginga look very similar, but it is hard to tell without holding them.

So many recommendations to research. Anyone have personal experience with these knives? I'm doing some reading, but that is very abstract compared to using the knives which isn't really an option.

Basically, I'm looking for help understanding advantages of the knives when compared?

Eg the konosuke and the Ginga look very similar, but it is hard to tell without holding them.

I've used both konosuke hd2 and ginga Swedish stainless. My impressions are they are very similar in profile and weight. Konosuke has the better edge retention and will patina up very slightly. Ginga's edge seems to be bend out of place sometimes and I need to hone it with a ceramic rod at work. Both are easy to sharpen, I think partially BC they're so thin.

They're both great and you really can't go wrong with either one. Cost is the major factor. I do feel like the hd2 steel performs slightly better but its a $100 more.

Some good knives on this thread. Have the JKI 240mm Ginga, have owned several carbon konosuke over the years. Both are all day cutting blades. The Ikazuchi AS core is thinnest san mai knife I have seen so far. They are light with thinner wa handles. Treated handle & used the 210 version for a cook friend. He likes it uses for prep at Sheraton Waikiki. He mentioned to me wish he had bought the 240mm instead.

I like having a laser and can't imagine being without. To me it's G Ginga, Suisin IH or Tadasuna Inox. No experience with Konosuke.

But for camping all day at the prep table I prefer a knife with a little more heft. Better (usually) release, easier cutting, better edge retention. This is of course subjective but it works for me.

Will suggest that pGesshin Uraku, or if you can reach deeper the Kagekiro, something from Yoshikane or Intinomonn, all merit a look. If you want to go laser the Tad Inox is (was?) in stock at A Frames Tokyo, not sure status of GG.

Latest posts

Back