Quantcast
"Emerald Dragon" Custom Gyuto WIP - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Emerald Dragon" Custom Gyuto WIP

you know how much I'm a fan Randy. I can't wait to see mine. wooohooooo!!!!! totally beautiful work. are you making mine with bolsters or without? just curious, makes no difference to me. You can keep it a secret if you want. you know you have free reign on this one.

Wow! Nice job!
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

That's a spectacular piece, Randy!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Awesome knife!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    you know how much I'm a fan Randy. I can't wait to see mine. wooohooooo!!!!! totally beautiful work. are you making mine with bolsters or without? just curious, makes no difference to me. You can keep it a secret if you want. you know you have free reign on this one.
    Thanks Sachem. Yours are coming up quickly on the list!! And Randy Jr. started forging the damascus steel for them this week.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Thanks Sachem. Yours are coming up quickly on the list!! And Randy Jr. started forging the damascus steel for them this week.
    woooohoooo!!!!!!

Thanks again guys for the comments and encouragement!

The Emerald Dragon is on its way home! May the Dragon reign supreme in its castle! And may it serve its master well.. This one was hard to send off today. Its one of them knives you just dont want to put down once you pick it up! you know the ones!!

Its a KNIFE LIFE!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Emerald Dragon Review

Good Day!!

Finally the so awaited Emerald Dragon arrived... it crosses the moat and arrives to the castle to be inspected.... What a beauty!!!

Seriously... I feel like I have to do a thorough analysis of this work of art.. I will divide this in 2... the experience and the actual knife.

THE EXPERIENCE...

I e-mailed Randy after seeing some pictures of his work without knowing what to expect and immediately was surprised by his approachability, knowledge and willingness to work with me. He was willing to take all the time necessary to quote and understand what I needed (No pressure). After various e-mails and an actual call (Which I reccomend to anyone who will make a knife with Randy because he is a very nice guy!).... and the journey began...

Exchange of knife photos, ideas for materials, comments, profiles, measurements, we went to town exchanging information that could help the project... when I was comfortable that we had come to an understanding... I just let him work his magic!

THEN THE WAIT!!!!

That was the hardest part of any knife nut who commissions a custom... the wait! needles to say he produced the knife before the deadline.

When he sent the photos I saw that he had been able to incorporate all of our ideas into the that work of art! My ideal knife... but now that the knife is here I know that the best part of it all was the camaraderie and the relationship that is created between artisan and chef...

I know Randy had a hard time letting the knife go.. part of his soul is there.. one of a kind... never to be repeated... unique.. thats why custom work is so special.. Its the journey...

Now the mushy part

I've expressed in the past my admiration of the artisans.. better yet artists that craft our culinary instruments... well after working with Randy... I've come to respect their abilities and how they pour every part of themselves into their knives...

I highly recommend anyone who has not done a Full custom to do so at some point.. and Randy is a great way to go... he is patient and in no moment of the process did he say "Its not possible" his attitude was always... let me see how we can do this.. and the results are there...

The knife is "Awesome"!!! A full grown Emerald Beauty!

THE KNIFE!!

I did a brief exercise when i first saw the Dragon... what were the words that came to mind when I first saw it?

Quality, precision, lasting, heft, beauty, soul, love, knowledge, experience.

__________________________________________________ _______

These are the specs...
    - Western handle Gyuto.
    - 1084 and 15n20 damascus Steel
    - Damascus HHH Damascus Explosion pattern Forged by Randy Jr.
    - Tapered blade
    - Actual Blade length 247.6mm tip to heel, Overall 14 7/8
    - Thickness at the spine above heel is 2.62mm tapering to about 1.30mm a inch behind the tip.
    -Heel height is 51mm The grind is a flat with blended convex. from the edge to the spine.
    - Above the cutting edge average of .048 above the bevels.
    - Handle is 5 1/4 from front of bolster to butt.
    - Explosion damascus bolsters
    - Emerald mammoth tooth and stabilized birch burl
    - Mosaic pins
    - Full 360* filework.
    - Custom full grain inlay leather sheath..

NOTE: Cannot comment on Kirenaga at this time.

BLADE

- The geometry is based on a Japanese Shig 240mm. Gyuto but with a character of its own. Slightly Thinner and straighter profile.

- Flat grind that slopes ever so slightly to middle of blade... 1/2 to 3/4 almost completely flat but with a very slight curve as to glide effortlessly throughout the board.

- Push cutting is done effortlessly. Food sticks much less do to convex (Very well done by Randy).. This is clear while cutting solid vegetables and fruit with water content that would normally stick such as apples and pears. Patina will develop nicely. Like an elegant armor!!

- Its ground uniformly and very sharp, can effortlessly cut thin piece of paper stopping intermittently without problem.

- Straight as an arrow.

- Slight notch under bolster to place index and thumb while pinch... great idea! I've been wanting to try this and now I'm hooked!!

- No gaps, uneven splotches, defects or problems on the blade or the damascus pattern.

- Rouded Spine, does not hurt fingers while pinch grip. Its thin enough to be nimble but you can still appreciate the beautiful vine design.

- Balance at makers mark... a very nice accomplishment do to the weight of molar (Which was a concern at beginning). Capable of attaining very sharp edge.

- Thin behind the blade.. possible its most attractive feature.. slices without effort through hard vegetables (Such as carrots and Jicama?)... leaves structure virtually intact... does not displace food.

- Fun to use! As Randy said... you don't want to let this one down!

HANDLE

- Very comfortable, rounded. Countured with a slope.

- Bolster angle designed and oriented to not hurt or be uncomfortable during pinch grip! (I Like this a lot!). The bolster is rounded as well.

- Comfortable for larger hands. Something that was important to me.
    - Seamless transition of materials and colors throughout. It works, it flows and it feels good.

- Fit and finish is flawless.. no unfinished areas (You know what I mean!) nor jagging materials, nor gaps (Other than vine finish) but thats part of the charm.

- Possibly one of the nicest parts of the knife (That cant be appreciated on the photos) is how well the materials blend and how the you see the reflection of the molar versus the burl.

- Perfect pin alignment. No gaps of pin placement in material. This is something that is very important to me, the execution of the pins through the knife speaks of Randy's ability as a knife-maker.

- 360 degree vine is superb.. you can see the damascus in the vine if you look closely (I believe this is something you can't see in the photos). It needs care but thats ok!

SHEATH

- Full grain, inlaid gator with chestnut is the most beautiful sheath I have ever seen.

- Contours snugly to the blade as if saying "You are not going anywhere"

- Flawless stitching. Strap at underside keeps knife secure.

- Protects the bolster, therefore the whole underside of knife...

Its really the unsung hero of the equation.. it even smells nice!!

OVERALL

As you can tell... I would have a hard time saying something bad about the dragon! After all.. we created it but from scratch.. but the Knife feels solid... like one that will last a lifetime. Beautifull and sturdy.. what more can you ask for?

I can't keep my eyes of her! What a stunner!!

I believe that Randy Sr. and Randy Jr. poured their heart and soul into this knife.. there is so much detail and its in one word "quality" in here there is no nook unlooked, there is no piece of surface without love...

Randy said too me and that this knife reflects was 7 years of learning and experience... you can virtually see this...

VERY GOOD JOB GUYS! YOU SCORED A 10!!!

Thank you!!!

Customfan, WOW,,,,,,,, Im about speechless. What a great way to end a otherwise uneventful Monday!

Im glad the knife made it to ya safe and sound, and happy you are pleased! Thank you for the excellent write up.
    We am super proud of this one, and honored to have had the opportunity to make your knife!

Availible Knives