Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Emerald Dragon" Custom Gyuto WIP

Wow, I love that Damascus pattern! Can't wait to see it all together.

Ohhhh!! its looking soooooo cool!!

That's a very cool looking pattern.I am curious how 1095 will perform in the kitchen knife arena.Great Job!

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    That's a very cool looking pattern.I am curious how 1095 will perform in the kitchen knife arena.Great Job!
    With Randy's HT it makes a pretty tough, durable edge. For me, I've found that you don't need to sharpen the edge beyond a 4k stone. I bought Randy's first gyuto offering here and he put a really fine, razor sharp edge on for me. The problem was that the edge would skid across tomato skins and bell peppers, cut from the skin side up, was more like breaking through thin ice rather than slicing. I put a new edge on it finishing with Jon's G4k and I've been very happy with the knife ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I bought Randy's first gyuto offering here and he put a really fine, razor sharp edge on for me. The problem was that the edge would skid across tomato skins and bell peppers, cut from the skin side up, was more like breaking through thin ice rather than slicing.
    Had it been stropped with green stuff/chromium oxide?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Good morning, I hope you all had a great weekend.

Thanks for the comments on the blade and progress so far.

RRLOVER, 1095 makes a awesome knife.. In the kitchen.. I have found it to be very reactive to foods, yet I have not forund it to have any bad odors, or leave any food discolored.. It builds a patina quickly and beautifully.. And takes and holds a good working edge. Mix it with 15n20 and its edge retention and cutting ability IMO actually increases. With proper heat treating it makes a very serviceable kitchen knife.

99Limited, Glad to hear that the blade is preforming well. Thanks for all your input and help.

Johnny, Now I am curious? I did strop with white then green. Why? whats the deal with green? lol

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I love your damscus! Great work on the patterns

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Johnny, Now I am curious? I did strop with white then green. Why? whats the deal with green? lol
    It has round particles so while it will polish your edge bevel and refine your edge, it can also smooth and round it slightly. It still feels great cutting paper or other things, but tasks like tomatoes and peppers with a tough skin, the edge doesn't have enough bite to grab and cut through the skin. Do you use the 3 finger test? Often my knives go from passing the 3 finger, then a strop on green and I can slide my fingers up and down the edge no problem.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Johnny, I'm having the skid across the skin issue when I strop with Chromium oxide loaded leather. Any tips on how to get that toothy edge for veg prep at work? I also have a Dickoron polished steel that works ok but not great (It is a new hone for me).
    Feel free to PM me as to not hijack this fine thread.

Thats exactly what happened.. The knife would push cut paper effortlessly, yet didnt want to slice a tomato!! lol So after talking with 99 he added a toothier edge.. he said it cuts as it should through everything as it should.. I wont be using the green any more! Thanks for the tip Johnny..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives