Custom Burger Meat Blend. What Would You Do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So today I got in 4 lbs of my own custom burger meat blend. The combo I chose was prime skirt steak, wagyu chuck, dry-aged steak ends, and a wagyu fat blend. Basically, you choose four ingredients and they blend a pound of each together for your own burger blend. These are the meats/fats you can choose from to make your own blend. Note: You can only choose four.

Choice Chuck
Prime Chuck
Wagyu Chuck
Prime Sirloin
Prime Top Round
Choice Short Ribs
Choice Tri Tip
Prime Skirt Steak
Prime Hanger Steak
Punta De Anca
Prime Short Ribs
Wagyu Short Ribs
Prime Brisket
Choice Filet Tail
Prime Filet Tail
Pork Shoulder
Mild Italian Sausage
Applewood Smoked Bacon
Foie Gras Blend
Beef Suet Blend
Prime Brisket Fat Blend
Prime Beef Rib Cap Fat Blend
Hot Italian Sausage
Dry Aged Steak Ends
Wagyu Fat Blend

I was kind of shooting in the dark as the ingredient list was extensive and I don't grind my own meat to really have an option on what works best. The only thing I was trying to do is shoot for around 20-25% fat -- and I definitely wanted the dry aged bits in the mix.

So I am curious what other burger geeks would do in terms of fat and types of meat. If this mix goes well, I may order more in the future.

Here is the website where I ordered it from. They give descriptions, a flavor rating, and fat content for each type of meat.

k.

IMG_3653.jpg

Waygu chuck, pork shoulder, foie, dry aged. I have no idea if could even taste it but it just sounds like a really fancy grilled cheese

woo suet that's old school most people coming out of culinary school these days don't even know what the f**k that means

I would go Sirloin, short rib, brisket, rib cap fat.

I might try something close to this. I did almost go for the Sirloin, wagyu chuck, dry aged, and rib cap fat at one point. After reading about the brisket having high moisture and going well with dry-aged components, maybe that would have been a good option.

My main concern on the first ingredient was flavor-to-fat. The sirloin, prime skirt, and prime hanger all have around the same fat content 4-5%, but the hanger steak seemed to go too far considering I had a dry-aged component. Changing from sirloin to skirt was the last change I made in my mix.

k.

Sirloin, brisket, shorty, hanger. Pork or any other non raw beef(besides salt and pepper) product don't belong in a burger patty.

That's a meatball.

Wagyu chuck, wagyu shorty, and hanger would probably be my base, then I'd try different blends with skirt, punta (tri tip), brisket, aged steak ends, and see which I prefer.

Sirloin, brisket, shorty, hanger. Pork or any other non raw beef(besides salt and pepper) product don't belong in a burger patty.

That's a meatball.

The best hamburger place in our neighborhood in Upstate NY was "Jack's" Drive-In and they used pork, beef and veal. I worked at the market that sold them the meat (mostly trimmings).

I've had plenty quality meat patties that were served as a sandwich. But they weren't the sandwich called a burger.

That's a meatball.

Brisket, shorty, hanger and then one undecided were mine as well. And when it comes to grades or aging or wagyu, the cheaper the better.

I've had plenty quality meat patties that were served as a sandwich. But they weren't the sandwich called a burger.

Truth.

What I want to know is how much is this custom burger meat a pound?

It comes out to be about $10-15 a pound. You have to order in 4lb increments.

Shipping is very reasonable at $10 for 1-day shipping.

IMO using dry aged beef for burgers is a bit of a waste. Sure you get more interesting flavor, but the texture and moisture as well as fat ratio that change from dry aging are not seen after it is ground. For similar results you can grind a bit of the trimmed fat from dry aged need and mix it into a less expensive 60/40 non dry aged burger mix. (Preferably from shank and short rib.) I like the added texture you get from the collagen in these cuts, a bit more chew.

can I please just buy 10# of beef suet, render it and start frying.......french fries, corn fritters, anything please?:hungry:

i won a neighborhood burger contest with:
50-50.

skirt steak and english short ribs..i did grind in some frozen butter bits.

it was a great burger.

Does look nice doesn't it? Just rendered it down. We're doing wings for super bowl. Gonna confit the wings in the tallow before frying and tossing with sauce:D

I hope by "dry aged steak ends" they are not referring to the black and green moldy caps we cut off and discard for obvious reasons.

^ so you're not about that noble rot? :lol2: kidding
Does look nice doesn't it? Just rendered it down. We're doing wings for super bowl. Gonna confit the wings in the tallow before frying and tossing with sauce:D

:bigeek::doublethumbsup:

Lmao, mas sabor homes
Mucho mas bacteria. I've asked a couple of meat providers about a dry aged burger and neither would do it. They claim that because the meat is ground you've significantly increased the surface area and in turn created an environment in which the bacteria can grow exponentially.

Back