Quantcast
This place is crazy...help? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This place is crazy...help?

i use about 3 knives (all made by me but thats not the point)
    10-11 inch slicer
    7-8 inch of nikiri
    3-4 inch utility
    mide you now and then i could use a 14 inch slicer and a heavy chef in the 8-9 inch range and a parer now and then but not dso much that

since you see the size diferances its cause i rotate my "house" knives so i can keep up with testign

I'll second some others and advise you to stick around and a bit more before taking the plunge. It sounds like you're completely new to performance cutlery. What knives are you currently using?

This is probably the best advice you will get for putting your toe in the water for the first time
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

One more remark about sizes: I wouldn't say get the one you're comfortable with, I would say: get one size larger than the one, you're comfortable with. You will get used to in no time, they stay sharper and cut more efficiently. Regards. Bernard

i just love how much information people can put out before the original person talks again
    id say get some MACs. going by your first post, it sounds like youre getting a home set for your family. id get a MAC pro Chef, a petty, and a Superior bread knife, and their White Ceramic steel. ive also known alot of cooks where i work that only use the Fiskars sharpener that MAC recommends, and its good but id still get a water stone.
    NOTE:water Stones WILL get expensive. you're gonna want ATLEAST a 1K grit stone, and probably a finishing stone(6K+)
    what ive discovered are Micron Film. they're $10 for three, and come in various "grits" (id get a pack of 15 micron, 3 micron, and maybe a ack of .3 micron) which will replace EVERY STONE. get a $30 Granite base for it (has to be the leveled one, keeps it flat, no need for a flatener) and thats $60, same as a 1k/6k king stone and a flatener, only you get a rouch, medium, and ultra fine sheet.
    either one will work fine, but id still recommend the micron papers.

Micron film does not last forever. It eventually, over a long period of time, makes more financial sense to just buy a stone.

for a home cook, who probably wont need to sharpen them that much, id say itd be easier to get micron film, price would probably be roughly the same IN THE END, and theyd never need to bother flattening it.

Hm I think Sally got scared off, ha ha. The responses to her question must have been information overload. So much helpful advice, and all of it saying something different! I wonder how old her son is? Seems like he should be the one posting question in this thread, if he's been bitten by the knife bug.

I'm still poking around here and there. Some people have a family to raise and no, my son won't be participating anytime soon. Aside from sharp things, he also seems to be obsessed with burning things and dissecting things so it's probably less of a "knife bug" and more of a "boy bug," thank you very much. He doesn't cook anything but grilled cheese sandwiches anyway. If he decides to do more than that, he can be like some of you fellows and run around the kitchen with a sword (a short one, mind you). Right now, water stones seem too complicated. I saw a mention of a Sharpmaker in another thread. That seems sensible but a little pricey. All these knives and steels and grinds and handles and whatnot still make my head spin. My husband told me to stop worrying and go to a store with a good return policy. I think I might do that...