Thread: Help identifying 70's Japanese Knife

Help identifying 70's Japanese Knife

Hey all,

I was walking around the thrift stores on my lunch today while picking up some Chinese food and came across this old 70's (I think) Japanese Hi-Stainless steel kitchen knife, looks like it's about 8" maybe 10". It has some pretty good weight to it, very little flex on it when pressed against. The blade looks to be in some pretty rough shape from what looks like a previous thinning session by the previous owner. But I took it home with me for $0.50. I did some googling but couldn't find anything on it. I think the brand is 'SWI' or maybe 'SUN' it's faded and some scratches are on the end character. Maybe someone here can tell me something about this beast. If it's a crappy blade well then it'll just go back to where it came from. But for 50 cents seemed like it might make a fun restore project.

https://goo.gl/photos/xVbBguVbmFJnh3o6A

Thanks for you help identifying.

It's a crappy blade. Worth 50 cents, but not much more.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Thanks for the heads up. Guess it'll go back to the bin where it came from. On the plus side I did come across these 2 when I was donating my junk at the thrift store, payed $4 for both.

https://goo.gl/photos/o5bZ2FDy7Rwg1Zfe7

The Mac is in really rough condition, but I think I can bring it back to life. The cleaver is mint, I love it's size. Can't wait to put a new edge on it and cut some veggies up.

Any idea how good Three Rams Brand is? Regardless I think i'll keep it, I really like the size of it.

I've used the standard wood handled Three Rams cleavers. Pretty standard everyday Chinese home use kitchen knife. I'm curious about the No. 6 stamp. Is it super light weight?

Yeah it's pretty light. Here's a pic next to my ShiBaZi, it's quite a bit smaller and lighter. Weighed them both, the 3 Rams comes in at 7.5oz and the ShiBaZi is 11.6oz.

https://goo.gl/photos/XGXMAtye1faT6utq8

Looking forward to getting an edge on it and start cutting things up.

Angry help

Hi, everyone!
    I have a several knives, like that.
    The blade steel seems like VG-2 and I use It for remakes.
    Could somebody tell me what the company manufactured those knives?
    Thanks a lot.

P.S. Sorry, put It in AddUmm tread... Can't insert a pics