UK/European Passaround!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan P.

Reaction score
I have a 9.5" knife in 1.2210 steel in the works that should do for a passaround.
I thought it better to make a decision as to which geographical area this passaround will take place in (to keep postage reasonable for participants), and so I thought that I might as well start locally- UK and Europe.

I'd like to limit this passaround to 5 people. I'm not exactly sure how I will select who those 5 will be (hoping there are more than 5 people who express interest :O !), but likely it will be a combination of post count and whether I recognize their name from this and other forums, as facile a set of reasons as they might be.

I'm brand new to passarounds, so organizing this might be a bit creaky; please bear with me; There will be details that need to be ironed out!

I'll put up some photos of the knife when it's finished (toward the end of this week) to whet your collective appetites, but until then, if anyone would like to express interest, might as well start now!

First, I like European passarounds!
No seriously, have a look at other passarounds to formulate some rules and conditions. Really, it makes sense. Stipulate how to use, not to use, to sharpen, not to sharpen, how to send, all that stuff. Again, it matters.
And do me a favour: tell a bit about that tool steel, please.

I live in canada. That's like the uk, god bless the queen, toss me an iron bru, some fish n chips and a bottle of highland park.

Hallo Dan, I'd like to participate.

I live in Germany and I am in :) I would also like to sing-up krakorak who lives in CZ (but is ill at the moment). We both were already asking about about your passaround in the other thread some time ago :)

so, +2 here :)

Don, first of all - I have taken part in pass-around before (and I am on a list for one international which will take at least 6 months, brave vendor indeed :) ) If I may here are my suggestions:
- collect names and decided on the order.
- just ask for the address of first addressee and the remaining ones will contact each-other 1st->2nd, 2nd->3rd and so on
- set a time scale how long one person should have the knife (usually about a week). Count 1 week for shipping (it takes less than that, but this gives you some safety margin)
- set the rules what can and what can not be made to the knife (sharpening, etc)
- pack the knife in a way that the packaging can be reused (I do not mean outer box, that may or may not survive several postings).
- those who join should be prepared to ship the knife insured
- selecting participants - usually first comes first serves, registering a KKF prior the announcement and maybe some minimal amount of sensible posts is common, but that is something you need to decide on.

And last but not least - krakorak is not posting much but is as trustworthy of a guy as you will find - I know him personally :) (now I need to find someone who will put it a good word for me ... :O )

Looking good lads!
Benuser- Very fine points, thank you. I will brainstorm those.
The steel is a plain high-carbon steel with modest additions of chromium and vanadium. Nothing fancy, but a very solid steel. Widely used in the forging of puukkos, for whatever that's worth!

Thanks Matus, that's very helpful.
I think the "first come first served" sounds fair, and also seems to be working here as we already have 4 long term forum members in continental Europe (sorry Godslayer!).

I'd love to participate, Dan! I live in the Netherlands. I also replied to your questions on another forum. For some examples of my knife reviews (also from pass-arounds), please see my blog.

Benuser
Zoze
Matus
Krakorak
Mark76

That makes 5!
I will formulate the stipulations and get back to you all!
Many thanks for your interest!

Hi Dan,

Just came across this post, like the look of your work, realise I may be a little late. Nearly a decade on the forums here (FF/KF/KKF).

Based in Manchester.

TTB

Thanks Tim.
Are there many UK members here?
It's possible I could organize a seperate UK passaround.

There are a few, yes - although I haven't seen a few of the older crowd (TB London, Aphex) around for a while.

Yeah, thanks a lot, Dan. From the moment I saw pictures of your forge, I wanted to try a knife from you :)

Thanks Matus for the very kind words regarding myself:)...And many thanks also to Dan, I'm really looking forward to try the knife! What made me curious about your knive was the combination of sturdiness with thinness behind the edge!

Thank you Dan, I'm really happy I got picked.

If there's an option to be included I'd really like to get in on this. A bit late to the thread, so feel free to say no as the list is full.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the interest, everyone!
TB_London and others, I will get a UK specific passaround set up.

I hope to get the knife for this passaround sent off sometime next week.
In the meantime, some parameters;

- Keep and use the knife for a week, 10 days tops, before sending it on to the next person in line. Ask the next person or me for their address via PM.

- The knife must be securely and safely packaged. I will provide bubble wrap, a cardboard tube and a cork for the tip which should be good for the duration of the passaround. If not, please pack it as best you can, with the safety of postal workers in mind, and obviously the safety and security of the knife.

- Please send the knife on using a secure method, "signed for" or whatever, including insurance of the value of the knife (in this case £245).

-Please feel free to sharpen the knife if you feel competent doing so

-Please DO NOT use the knife for chopping bones/trees/bricks, prying open paint tins, as a screwdriver, hotwiring cars, slaying dragons, or any other purpose for which it was not intended. For the record its intended use is cutting meat and vegetables (trees are not vegetables).

-Please DO NOT put the knife in the dishwasher, and please do not leave it wet or dirty.

-Please DO NOT alter the knife in any way other than to make it sharp if it is blunt.

-Please DO use the knife hard. I make them to be used. It is not a toy or an ornament!

-Please DO leave full and frank feedback. I'm doing this passaround because I want to raise the profile of the knives I make and do business, make money, etc., but getting honest appraisal of my work is going to be very important in helping me make the best knife possible.

Thanks for all your interest!

@Benuser
@zoze
@Matus
@Krakorak
@mark76

If you could get round to sending me your names and addresses when you can?
Many thanks!

Please add me to the UK passaround once it materialises :)

Hi Dan, I'd love to participate in the pass-around, but unfortunately I will be very busy at work the next few months. So could you please remove me from the list? I'm really sorry, because it seems a very interesting knife to me.

That's a shame, Mark!
Perhaps next time?
Room for one more Europe/UK member, I guess!

Yeah, hopefully next time. When I participate I want to be able to really use the knife and write a review so other people also get an impression. Unfortunately that's too challenging now given my time constraints.

Yes!
May I presume;

Benuser
zoze
Matus
Krakorak
DamageInc

I'm in. I hope this will work out fine. With so few people on the list I would assume it would be hard to screw up.

Hi Dan,

it's awesome to see an European Passaround. I'd love to through my hat in too but sadly even though I live the in EU things are a bit tricky here.
< Incoming rant >
If I try to send any kitchen knife with a responsible shipping company (lets say DHL) besides the obscene pricing I'll get a comment like
"Kitchen KNIFE?!?! That can be considered a weeeapon. We cannot send thaaaat" - Generic Darf Vogon Clerk
< End of rant >
I'm truly envious of everyone who got in. I hope you enjoy using the knife!

Alex

Back