Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UK/European Passaround!

UK/European Passaround!

I have a 9.5" knife in 1.2210 steel in the works that should do for a passaround.
    I thought it better to make a decision as to which geographical area this passaround will take place in (to keep postage reasonable for participants), and so I thought that I might as well start locally- UK and Europe.

I'd like to limit this passaround to 5 people. I'm not exactly sure how I will select who those 5 will be (hoping there are more than 5 people who express interest !), but likely it will be a combination of post count and whether I recognize their name from this and other forums, as facile a set of reasons as they might be.

I'm brand new to passarounds, so organizing this might be a bit creaky; please bear with me; There will be details that need to be ironed out!

I'll put up some photos of the knife when it's finished (toward the end of this week) to whet your collective appetites, but until then, if anyone would like to express interest, might as well start now!

First, I like European passarounds!
    No seriously, have a look at other passarounds to formulate some rules and conditions. Really, it makes sense. Stipulate how to use, not to use, to sharpen, not to sharpen, how to send, all that stuff. Again, it matters.
    And do me a favour: tell a bit about that tool steel, please.

I live in canada. That's like the uk, god bless the queen, toss me an iron bru, some fish n chips and a bottle of highland park.

Hallo Dan, I'd like to participate.

I live in Germany and I am in I would also like to sing-up krakorak who lives in CZ (but is ill at the moment). We both were already asking about about your passaround in the other thread some time ago

so, +2 here

I'm already here, thanks a lot, Matus:-)! And, of course, I am interested as well!

Don, first of all - I have taken part in pass-around before (and I am on a list for one international which will take at least 6 months, brave vendor indeed ) If I may here are my suggestions:
    - collect names and decided on the order.
    - just ask for the address of first addressee and the remaining ones will contact each-other 1st->2nd, 2nd->3rd and so on
    - set a time scale how long one person should have the knife (usually about a week). Count 1 week for shipping (it takes less than that, but this gives you some safety margin)
    - set the rules what can and what can not be made to the knife (sharpening, etc)
    - pack the knife in a way that the packaging can be reused (I do not mean outer box, that may or may not survive several postings).
    - those who join should be prepared to ship the knife insured
    - selecting participants - usually first comes first serves, registering a KKF prior the announcement and maybe some minimal amount of sensible posts is common, but that is something you need to decide on.

And last but not least - krakorak is not posting much but is as trustworthy of a guy as you will find - I know him personally (now I need to find someone who will put it a good word for me ... )

Looking good lads!
    Benuser- Very fine points, thank you. I will brainstorm those.
    The steel is a plain high-carbon steel with modest additions of chromium and vanadium. Nothing fancy, but a very solid steel. Widely used in the forging of puukkos, for whatever that's worth!

Thanks Matus, that's very helpful.
    I think the "first come first served" sounds fair, and also seems to be working here as we already have 4 long term forum members in continental Europe (sorry Godslayer!).

I'd love to participate, Dan! I live in the Netherlands. I also replied to your questions on another forum. For some examples of my knife reviews (also from pass-arounds), please see my blog.