UK Passaround!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan P.

Reaction score
Rather than tack the UK members on to the end of the Europe passaround, I thought it would be good to do a separate UK passaround. I'm possibly making more work for myself here, but as I live and work in the UK, it seems a bit silly not to.
It'll take a little longer to get going, as a knife has to be made in its entirety, so we are looking at some time in the week after next?
OR rather than a 9.5" I do have a 7.5" near to completion which can be ready much sooner.
I don't want the Brits to feel short (pun!) changed, but the first 3 concurrent expressions of preference will decide, 9.5" or 7.5".
As with the others, I'd like to limit the number to 5.
Thus far, in order of enquiry (which is slightly different to the order they appear on the other thread), we have;

Tim The Beaver
Apathetic
TB London

That one is long gone I'm afraid, though it was a 7.5" knife.
I do have blade templates, but I usually prefer to follow the forging in suggesting the profile.
Of course if a customer has specific preferences, I will follow those.

That one is long gone I'm afraid, though it was a 7.5" knife.
Dang it! :)

Anyway, you've mentioned that the knife meant for the UK passaround hasn't been made yet, so i have an other cheeky little suggestion.
What if you upload a photo of the kitchen knives you've made in the recent past, so we could vote which one we would like to try out.
Only if it sounds reasonable.

I have a couple of 7.5" knives that could be chosen between, and I've been forging up a 9.5" just now.
With a few exceptions, my profiles are really pretty similar, being broadly "French" or old Anglo-American in style.
Can I take it that you want in on the passaround, Marci?

Great Stuff,
Out of the options I'd prefer to try a flatter profile 9.5 similar to your Instagram pics. But, whatever you feel is most reflective of your style

Cheers,
tom

My posting hiatus is over, I wouldn't mind getting involved in this one.

I think most people around here are more used to 9.5" knives.

I'd like to try whatever you think is most in line with your knifemaking philosophy. On a personal level, I would be more interested in a 7.5 but would also be happy with a 9.5

Thanks for organising this Dan.

TTB

I think that's 3 votes for the 9.5",

The list so far;

Tim The Beaver
Apathetic
TB London
Aphex

Great Stuff,
Out of the options I'd prefer to try a flatter profile 9.5 similar to your Instagram pics. But, whatever you feel is most reflective of your style

Cheers,
tom

I'm with Tom. :) Flat profile and fairly pointy tip (like the one on the instagram).

Hi Dan,

I'm not a Pro, so might not be able to give as useful feedback as others, but I'd love to give it a try if you'd be willing to include me. I too would prefer 9.5" with a flat(ish) profile, but it's probably best to go with whatever you like best in terms of profile.

I somehow missed this thread and the other one (EU/UK) and only noticed them now.

I'm in London and I work in a professional kitchen. I'm up for it even though I like my knives with belly!

I said I'd limit it to 5, but as MAS4T0 and toufas were in a couple of minutes of each other, let's call it six;

Tim The Beaver
Apathetic
TB London
Aphex
MAS4T0
toufas

Thanks for your interest!

Here are the proposed parameters, as per the European passaround;

- Keep and use the knife for a week, 10 days tops, before sending it on to the next person in line. Ask the next person or me for their address via PM.

- The knife must be securely and safely packaged. I will provide bubble wrap, a cardboard tube and a cork for the tip which should be good for the duration of the passaround. If not, please pack it as best you can, with the safety of postal workers in mind, and obviously the safety and security of the knife.

- Please send the knife on using a secure method, "signed for" or whatever, including insurance of the value of the knife (in this case £245).

-Please feel free to sharpen the knife if you feel competent doing so

-Please DO NOT use the knife for chopping bones/trees/bricks, prying open paint tins, as a screwdriver, hotwiring cars, slaying dragons, or any other purpose for which it was not intended. For the record its intended use is cutting meat and vegetables (trees are not vegetables).

-Please DO NOT put the knife in the dishwasher, and please do not leave it wet or dirty.

-Please DO NOT alter the knife in any way other than to make it sharp if it is blunt.

-Please DO use the knife hard. I make them to be used. It is not a toy or an ornament!

-Please DO leave full and frank feedback. I'm doing this passaround because I want to raise the profile of the knives I make and do business, make money, etc., but getting honest appraisal of my work is going to be very important in helping me make the best knife possible.

Thanks for all your interest!

Tim the Beaver, could you send me your address?

Hi All!
I've put some photos of the passaround knife up on my instagram page, simply because getting photos off my camera and on to photobucket takes so very very very long out here. It's the knife with the curly maple handle. Link below.

I haven't heard back from Timthebeaver concerning his address, so Apathetic, if you could send me yours?

I've just been checking out the instagram pics, looks very nice indeed. It will be interesting to see how the handle feels in the hand, I've never held a western with as much belly.

Come on people, send in your addresses, let's get this passaround on the go!

As you may be able to tell I'm keen to try this out :D

Sorry everybody; I've been hammered by this virus that is going around, and have been unable to get to the post office until today.
Timthebeaver has had to rain check this pass around, which is a shame, but it means that it will get to you that bit earlier, Tom.

Something to note- on this knife I used traditional cutler's pitch rather than epoxy. I'll be interested to see how it holds up.

Sorry Dan wasn't chasing you, hope you're recovering

Did you make up the resin yourself? I've considered giving it a go for Wa rehandles

Yes, Tom, I made it myself. It should do famously for a wa handle, if it is of the "pure" stick tang type (which I guess traditionally were a friction fit?) rather than the profiled "step" type. Like a lot of "old tech" methods, I'm sure there is a lot of details that need to be ironed out. I thought I might as well give it a whirl for the pass around. I'm not sure I'd be fully confident in selling a knife made using it, yet.

So is the UK passaround happening? The threads gone a bit quiet all of a sudden.

My knife account has recently received some new funds and I'd really like to buy local this time. If the knife is as good is I expect it will be, you can expect a new commission. Plus I have a beautiful piece of highly figured koa that needs using. I think it will look good on a Prendergast knife.

It's with me at the moment, I think you're next on the list so will post it out after the weekend.

I'll post up some comments over the weekend too

Just to confirm that the knife has arrived safe and sound.

Really enjoyed using this one. I'll give my thoughts next weekend.

6QpLnQM.jpg

Excellent photo, Aphex, I look forward to seeing your review up!

Back