Freestanding gas burner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAS4T0

Reaction score
Hi KKF!

The hob at my new house is induction, and putting in a gas stove isn't really an option.

Does anyone have any experience with freestanding gas burners? I'm familiar with camping stoves and I'm aware that there are some gas BBQs with gas hobs included, but I'm not sure of the BTU output.

As I'll be using it outside I'd ideally like a super high BTU burner which would be good for use with a wok. Is there anything out there like this?

If not I can fabricate a stand and buy the burner components to all build my own, but for the sake of time I'd rather buy ready made if what I'm looking for is already out there.

Thank you.

There was a thread about making a burner for a wok but I'm mobile and can't seem to find it...believe it was roughly six months ago.

There was a thread about making a burner for a wok but I'm mobile and can't seem to find it...believe it was roughly six months ago.

Thanks buddy. I'll have a look for it.

If you're going to be using it outside anyway you might also look at regular fuel burners. More expensive to buy but generally cheaper to fuel... and they're less wimpy (unless you go with some kind of super wok stove).

Those look great!

I need to look into these.

I have a Foker wok burner and a Foker double burner. Both are pretty good. Wok burner is a must if you want to boil water in under 20 minutes.

http://www.foker.com/foker_ing/fornelloni_03040.html

I'm not sure about using any kind of liquid fuel, if that what you mean by regular fuel. I find that they don't burn as clean and the smoke is acrid.

If you're going to be using it outside anyway you might also look at regular fuel burners. More expensive to buy but generally cheaper to fuel... and they're less wimpy (unless you go with some kind of super wok stove).

I'm not sure about using any kind of liquid fuel, if that what you mean by regular fuel. I find that they don't burn as clean and the smoke is acrid.
Yep. They're messy when you run them on gasoline or diesel, but with white fuel / white spirit or coleman fuel it's actually pretty clean. Reliable as hell as well (at least the ones I've used from MSR).
Then again, if it's really intended for wok use I think you're best off with a dedicated wok burner anyway. Most of those are made to be used with seperate gas tanks anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to set one up in your backyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that eastman 65k one and I cook year round on a wok on my porch. I rarely ever open the propane knob over half way.

Back