• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB/WTT for a Yo-Handled Shigefusa Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedtran

Banned
Reaction score
Hey everyone woke up this morning and just really wanted a Yo-Shig. This is a complete long shot but looking for a Yo-handled Shigefusa Gyuto (any size 180-240mm).

Looking to buy or trade for it.

Have some interesting things I could be willing to trade: 240mm DT ITK 52100, Will Catcheside 240mm, 240mm JNS Kato, Kitaeji Santoku (might owe Smurf this one though since I didn't get him the last one I had), Kitaeji Nakiri

Giving up on the Kato already? :)

Not just yet, but woke up with a craving to try a Yo-Shig. I think it was because I missed a Kitaeji Gyuto two days ago due to a merchant processing issue so the Shig Fever is extra strong :dazed:

Not just yet, but woke up with a craving to try a Yo-Shig. I think it was because I missed a Kitaeji Gyuto two days ago due to a merchant processing issue so the Shig Fever is extra strong :dazed:

Mike, Mike... 'woke up with a[nother] craving' sort of says it all. What tomorrow? :groucho:

Yo-gyuto Shigs are one I've never been tempted to buy. They look great until you get to the handle part. Don't understand the allure

Mike, Mike... 'woke up with a[nother] craving' sort of says it all. What tomorrow? :groucho:

Yo-gyuto Shigs are one I've never been tempted to buy. They look great until you get to the handle part. Don't understand the allure

Recently been hankering for a bit of western handles (not sure why either) and keep hearing that the Yo-Shigs are very different than Wa-Shigs with that we have the perfect storm for Shig-Fever haha =)

If you want different, you could just chase some KU instead, non? `

I know the feeling! It's kind of fun chasing unicorns.

Lol, tomorrow is when he starts writing the top blade smiths and saying "Make me something EPIC!!"

Epicurean edge has the 240mm yo if you are really that desperate and have money to burn

Saw that but it's a bit wild for me. Looking for a Kasumi likely. Will probably put in an order (that will take 2 years hahah) if I don't find something.

Get a wa handled version and get Dave to do a western handle hidden tang? :idea2:

Thinking about the rehandle option though I do love the integral.

Saw that but it's a bit wild for me. Looking for a Kasumi likely. Will probably put in an order (that will take 2 years hahah) if I don't find something.

How do you order a shig? Is it through a vendor or directly from the maker?

How do you order a shig? Is it through a vendor or directly from the maker?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only order through vendors. Maybe if you visited Shigefusa's shop in Sanjo you could place a direct order.

PM me if you want additional details, don't want to clutter this thread too much. (probably too late for that)

No offense to anybody, but from what I've read here it seems like either option will most likely take you 2 years. With that in mind I'd personally go with the yo-handle Shig instead of the re-handle option. It's the whole package/full meal deal, if you know what I mean.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only order through vendors. Maybe if you visited Shigefusa's shop in Sanjo you could place a direct order.

Yes, I think so, and there's no Shigefusa shop, only a workshop which isn't intended for shoppers or visitors. As far as I know, there are certain rules for sellers too: such as certain Japanese sellers are not supposed to sell beyond Japan.

My yo-handled Yoshihide petty is excellent in every manner. The handle alone has caused me to ponder the idea of trying to hunt down a yo shig gyuto for some time now.

Congrats on the find; good to see there is still fluidity in the market!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back