Tanaka thoughts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Curious why Tanaka hasn't done a standard carbon clad knife? I really liked my blue 2 but the cheap damascus cladding really took away from the knife. In my mind, a nice kasumi finished blade (or pear finish like his cousin makes) would be something very special. He could send them to James for final fit and finish and everyone would win.

I only bring up the question because I find Shigeki's knives to cut as well or better than many knives that cost quite a bit more money.

Wouldn't you be able just to sand/steel wool it down to a kasumi finish? FWIW, he used to do standard carbon clad single bevels, though I haven't seen any on metalmaster in years.

I like the cutting attributes of the Tanaka Ginsan G3. Last couple years bought both 240mm & 210mm off metal master when they came in stock. Sold both to students after had rounded spine & choil. I round spines with 1X42 belt. You do not even need a sander, can back sandpaper with duck tape & cut into strips use shoe shine motion. A vise is nice.

The pear finish, good cutter, nice steel both my blades easy to sharpen and raise a burr. The D handle has real Horn, wood can be treated to make it hold up & look better. Lot to like about the Ginsan Tanaka's good knife for the price, easy fixes to make more comfortable. Cuz of this forum have begun to appreciate quality stainless love it. Being a carbon junkie so many years can see how people like their carbons too.

edited out. realized it may not be the right place to place for me to comment.

he is obliged, Hitachi or Takefu does not manufacture sandwich with 2 layers, only the sanmai.
in fact, I wonder how many REALLY make their own sandwich...
not that it's better when it's Cutler who forge Himself...

(sorry , google translate :/ )

Hitachi does ni mai as well , at least ginsanko to stainless , I am certain , I have some . For small size knives many makers use already made billets from the factory , as you said there is nothing wrong with it , they are made at higher temperatures however they are made by very expensive and precise machinery and the product is consistent , can be forged at lot lower temperature than home made billet

I think Murray Carter had a video where he explained why doing heat treatment at the threshold of failure is so desired. I forgot the point ha. Maybe something to do with grain structure.
I know my deba had a little bit of jigane on the tip that looked like delamination.
The point being Tanaka does some forging by hand and the HT is good.

Murray also uses factory laminated billets for his stainless clad stuff

or that his single bevel were more readily availabe! i assume most of them must get sold domestically.

Latest posts

Back