• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Naniwa snow white

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a snow white, no matter the condition (used, or new)
Looking to spend around 200 usd.
Any other options are welcome aswell, for example jns.

Tk matteo

You should be able to get a brand new one for far less than 200 dollars. Knives & Stones has it, Toolsfromjapan...heck even ChessKnightsToGo still has it in store.

Nope they are definitely not related to the Chosera series. The chosera has been rebranded as the professional series and still only comes in 5000 & 10000 grit (and all the smaller ones of course). Although admittedly both the Snow white and chosera were magnesia stones.

My guess is the new Traditional 8000 is the evolution of the snow white, just like the professional is the evolution of the chosera. But that is just a guess; I have never been able to compare the series... There's at least some other stores that sell the Traditional 8000 and for what it's worth they tend to claim that it's the 'new' Snow White, and still a magnesium stone. For some reason ChessKnightsToGo seems to sell both, but I don't know whether that's because there's much of difference or only to get rid of old stock.

I've heard the new snow white isn't as good as the old version. I have the old version that I got from knives and stones. Very fast shipping to the US and reasonable price.

Tk you so much man for the info.
I will switch my choice on a natural stone so for the same price.
I have the 400,1000,3000,5000 choseras at home and that's why I would like to get the snow,but in this case it s just no worth the shoot.

I have the 400,1000,3000,5000 choseras at home and that's why I would like to get the snow,but in this case it s just no worth the shoot.

Well don't just base it on my 'knowledge'; I can only point out what's (still) on sale and where. And you can still acquire the 'old' one.
But at least in regards to the 'old' Snow White at least some people were really satisfied about combining it with the Chosera line. Maybe they can chime in? If I remember correctly Benuser actually had the 3000 & 5000 chosera and stopped using the 5000 after getting the Snow White.

Also, don't fall for the 'tunnel vision' that all your stones have to be from the same series. Even when they have the same name doesn't mean all stones from that line work equally well for you (or that differen't stones won't work). I bought the Naniwa pro 400, 1000 & 5000. While I loved the first two I hated the last one, and after recently acquiring an Arashiyama 6000 found myself to be much happier with that one. This is personal preference so not saying you should go one way or another, but just don't fall into the 'one-line'-trap.

I actually have the same synthetic lineup as you, except I have some naniwa pros mixed in there as well. I recently started getting into Jnats so they havent ben getting much use.

Well don't just base it on my 'knowledge'; I can only point out what's (still) on sale and where. And you can still acquire the 'old' one.
But at least in regards to the 'old' Snow White at least some people were really satisfied about combining it with the Chosera line. Maybe they can chime in? If I remember correctly Benuser actually had the 3000 & 5000 chosera and stopped using the 5000 after getting the Snow White.

Also, don't fall for the 'tunnel vision' that all your stones have to be from the same series. Even when they have the same name doesn't mean all stones from that line work equally well for you (or that differen't stones won't work). I bought the Naniwa pro 400, 1000 & 5000. While I loved the first two I hated the last one, and after recently acquiring an Arashiyama 6000 found myself to be much happier with that one. This is personal preference so not saying you should go one way or another, but just don't fall into the 'one-line'-trap.

I have the naniwa pro 5000 which is supposed to be the same as chosera and i also hate the 5000. No feedback at all on that stone. My least fave stone for sure!

I have the naniwa pro 5000 which is supposed to be the same as chosera and i also hate the 5000. No feedback at all on that stone. My least fave stone for sure!
My main gripe is that it's simply not the splash & go stone it's advertised to be. In fact, without soaking it at least 5 minutes or so it's as if there's a tampon hidden in there that keeps drawing the entire stone dry. You keep splashing water on and it keeps going dry. Then it feels as if you're just rubbing your knife on rock-hard rubber, and the 'slush' just becomes like rubbery crumbs from an eraser.
It gets better when you soak it for a few minutes but it never really becomes what I would describe as 'nice'. Even when it 'works' you never really notice it does. Funny enough the Arashiyama 6k I recently got was a lot nicer to use and worked great without any soaking at all, even though it's a lot cheaper.

Weirdest thing about it is that it's so much worse than the 400 & 1000, which I never had any issues with. Actually quite love the 1000. Same line, completely different stones.

My main gripe is that it's simply not the splash & go stone it's advertised to be. In fact, without soaking it at least 5 minutes or so it's as if there's a tampon hidden in there that keeps drawing the entire stone dry. You keep splashing water on and it keeps going dry. Then it feels as if you're just rubbing your knife on rock-hard rubber, and the 'slush' just becomes like rubbery crumbs from an eraser.
It gets better when you soak it for a few minutes but it never really becomes what I would describe as 'nice'. Even when it 'works' you never really notice it does. Funny enough the Arashiyama 6k I recently got was a lot nicer to use and worked great without any soaking at all, even though it's a lot cheaper.

Weirdest thing about it is that it's so much worse than the 400 & 1000, which I never had any issues with. Actually quite love the 1000. Same line, completely different stones.

Lol @tampon. Yea thats the same experience Ive had as well. The stone is very thirsty and like you said, could never seem to get it right. I agree with the 400 and 1000, very nice stones! I use them all the time as a bevel setter before my natural progression.

Back