Which 270mm stainless wa sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tax return coming soon, so...

KNIFE TYPE
Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Say $200

KNIFE USE
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing roasts, portioning steaks, cubing meat, usual tasks where extra length is nice for less sawing.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Used to have a carbon fujiwara that I liked, but dont like western handles as much nor did I like the reactivity and extra care needed when I want to plate and eat ;)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch mostly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Again, mostly just slicing for slicing and portioning proteins.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Stainless preferred so I can not worry about reactivity when I'm being rushed or lazy.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

No real preference.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Again, slicing motion for smooth cuts. Ootb edge not deal breaker.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not such an issue.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End block walnut Boardsmith.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Thanks!

i actually prefer western handle for suji (as well as parer and filet/boning) have you tried a direct comparison? i think westerns are more ergonomic for those tasks. the suji i'm after (masamoto ks) personally is wa which just means handle type is not an issue for me.

you really should consider carbon, leaving meat juices on isn't going to hurt the knife, just a denser patina. if not, maybe stainless cladded carbon core at least?

i actually prefer western handle for suji (as well as parer and filet/boning) have you tried a direct comparison? i think westerns are more ergonomic for those tasks. the suji i'm after (masamoto ks) personally is wa which just means handle type is not an issue for me.

you really should consider carbon, leaving meat juices on isn't going to hurt the knife, just a denser patina. if not, maybe stainless cladded carbon core at least?

Haven't compared the two but did find the western to be a bit handle heavy. Guess not a bad thing for the tasks but I do prefer wa overall. I'll look into the masamoto ks for kicks. I had a carbon masamoto Gyuto I wasn't in love with but wanted to like it. Everything stuck to it, it seemed mm

I'd consider stainless cladded, yeah.

If you would consider yo, I like my yoshihiro 1141 270... Supposed to be aus8a nice distal taper sharpens up easily. The k tip is cool too. You can find them for a very affordable price from time to time on eBay although I'm pretty sure the yoshihiro ice hardened stainless knives are essentially the same (those you can buy directly from yoshihiro in Beverly Hills).

Brian! Keiichi has a yusuke Sakai 270 extra hardened Swedish that just over your budget but a very nice knife have several x hardened Yusukes and the HT is done really well. Holds a long edge and gets crazy sharp.

Brian, I'm a little suji stupid, and with with 4 of them, a couple scimitar and a couple of breaking knives, some might say a lot suji stupid. But I like them.

The ones I'm most familiar with are north of 300 and I would encourage you to reach a little deeper and only buy it once.

Imo the most important characteristic is flex, as in little to none. I had one that would flex some and the result was ripple cuts on finished product, uneven cuts and other less than desirable results. It had to find a new home. Don't recall the brand.

I don't use a suji like a gyuto (at least not often) and don't care for the taller versions. I've used a couple of the "Guyhiji" variants and owned a k tipped Gyuto and they did not work for me. YMMV.

I like my Tad 240 Inox and DT aebl 270 a lot for positioning raw meat. Both do well on cooked and grilled meat as well. For portioning right off the grill my favorite is a Gengetsu Stainless clad carbon 270. Not ideal for brisket but will work. Will readily slay pork and beef loins and quickly portion steaks and what not. It has a little more ass to it than the laserish Tad and DT. If I was buying A suji for everything I would look for quality stainless clad as first choice, mono stainless as close second. My other suji is a Shig. Nuff said..

In your price range there is the Uraku (but you knew that) From the pics it looks a little tall but don't think Jon would offer a hybrid. A call to Jon may be in order. If you can reach a little deeper then the Tad or G Ginga would be solid choices. I'm not aware of clad sujis below 300 but I'm sure they are out there.

You working the Egg in the snow? I'm trying to wear mine out.

Laserdisc, it's a new class of knife. You read it here first.

Brian, I'm a little suji stupid, and with with 4 of them, a couple scimitar and a couple of breaking knives, some might say a lot suji stupid. But I like them.

The ones I'm most familiar with are north of 300 and I would encourage you to reach a little deeper and only buy it once.

Imo the most important characteristic is flex, as in little to none. I had one that would flex some and the result was ripple cuts on finished product, uneven cuts and other less than desirable results. It had to find a new home. Don't recall the brand.

I don't use a suji like a gyuto (at least not often) and don't care for the taller versions. I've used a couple of the "Guyhiji" variants and owned a k tipped Gyuto and they did not work for me. YMMV.

I like my Tad 240 Inox and DT aebl 270 a lot for positioning raw meat. Both do well on cooked and grilled meat as well. For portioning right off the grill my favorite is a Gengetsu Stainless clad carbon 270. Not ideal for brisket but will work. Will readily slay pork and beef loins and quickly portion steaks and what not. It has a little more ass to it than the laserish Tad and DT. If I was buying A suji for everything I would look for quality stainless clad as first choice, mono stainless as close second. My other suji is a Shig. Nuff said..

In your price range there is the Uraku (but you knew that) From the pics it looks a little tall but don't think Jon would offer a hybrid. A call to Jon may be in order. If you can reach a little deeper then the Tad or G Ginga would be solid choices. I'm not aware of clad sujis below 300 but I'm sure they are out there.

You working the Egg in the snow? I'm trying to wear mine out.

I'll look into all of that, thanks! I didn't smoke in the egg yesterday, but did put some marinated skirt steak right on the coals and cooked veggies in it as well!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Haven't compared the two but did find the western to be a bit handle heavy. Guess not a bad thing for the tasks but I do prefer wa overall. I'll look into the masamoto ks for kicks. I had a carbon masamoto Gyuto I wasn't in love with but wanted to like it. Everything stuck to it.

I'd consider stainless cladded, yeah.

Crap, I'm thinking of a Sakai Yusuke Carbon in white 2, sorry.

Back