D. Martell Thoughts about less expensive Martell knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Does a line of less expensive Martell knives interest you?

I'm considering making (some of) my knives with pre-made Japanese wa handles. This would allow me a small savings in material costs but a HUGE savings in labor which I could pass along to my customers. I could also make a LOT more knives than I currently do meaning more availability.

If the plan works out as I hope (and of course it never does.... but anyway) I would start with 240mm gyutos, D-shaped handles done in magnolia wood and buffalo horn.

So, would a Martell gyuto with a pre-made D-shaped handle be something that you'd be interested in if the price was right? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Cost savings possibility...

Custom handled 240mm gyuto = $575 (current pricing)

Pre-Made Handled 240mm gyuto = $325-$375 (ish)

I personally like the idea. It gives one a chance to get the Martell blade experience at an easy to access price point, which may lead to more premium-handle knife sales down the road. And it may be good offering for the kitchen pros, who want a great cutter but have a hard time digesting the added cost of a premium-wood western handle.

Dave, I like it but instead of just slapping on a random handle, why don't you contract out the handle part. You could get nice bulk handles from your vendors: Stephan, Mikey or James. That way its not some ho hum ho wood but something semi custom. Kinda like what James did with the Tanaka Ginsan. Some decent wood in a nice shape with a simple ferrule? Id be interested, but for me its got to be in stainless or semi stainless steel variant.

Will the blades be ground the same and finished to the Martell standard? Keep talking Dave I like where this conversation's going.

Dave, I like it but instead of just slapping on a random handle, shy don't you contract out the handle part. You could get nice bulk handles from your vendors: Stephan, Mikey or James. That way its not some ho hum ho wood but something semi custom. Kinda like what James did with the Tanaka Ginsan. Some decent wood in a nice shape with a simple ferrule? Id be interested, but for me its got to be in stainless or semi stainless steel variant.

Will the blades be ground the same and finished to the Martell standard? Keep talking Dave I like where this conversation's going.

Stefan actually made a whole slew of ready made off the shelf handles some years ago that we couldn't get takers on. The cost was at the same price point so maybe that was the reason. This might still be a viable option for getting more knives out but not for a lower price point.

Yes the blades would be done exactly the same as they are now, however, I would like to eventually move the higher end up line to a higher level finish....maybe even (gack) hand sanding even. That part is just gibber gabber though, the important thing to note is that the pre-made handles would not change the level of finish or how the blades are ground, they'd be done just as I have been doing.

I personally like the idea. It gives one a chance to get the Martell blade experience at an easy to access price point, which may lead to more premium-handle knife sales down the road. And it may be good offering for the kitchen pros, who want a great cutter but have a hard time digesting the added cost of a premium-wood western handle.

I think it's a great idea for the same reasons David does.

This is what I was thinking too.

You could also offer to sell them with no handle, so if some one has a handle of the right size laying around or has an idea of what they want the handle to look like they can choose, it becomes more personal. The second option would bump the overall price back up but they would have the option to choose the handle. We Americans love our choices:).

I think it's an excellent idea.
Not everyone has the means to pay a premium for a custom or even semi custom handle. The price difference is very significant.
Good thinking Dave :thumbsup:

I like the idea of a simple Ho wood handle (as long as its good f&f) if it is 325.

But if its going to be 400ish, honestly I would rather pay extra for a more personalized handle

I'd be interested. I can ease my way into the deep end of the pool... Have managed to avoid spending over $250 on a knife so far, but it's steadily creeping up. The journey has been great!

Love the idea.

I will say that you make as nice/comfortable handle as anyone. That said, I like to feel that I'm purchasing a certain steel/geometry more than a handle. Also, my personal preference runs to octagonal wa and I have to think that most people have their own preferences as well.

Shigefusa has certainly done well with D-shaped ho handles

One thing I meant to add: a straight octagonal or other ambidextrous friendly option would be appreciated by us southpaws.

I think this is a good idea, for the reasons already mentioned. I recall the thread about ordering without a handle awhile ago, but this would allow the knife to be used in the interim, and allow the option of a handle to their taste (eg wa or western hidden tang)

Good idea but my preference would be a wa octagon handle which you might be able to import as cheaply as the D-handle.

I wouldn't buy one. Your handles are too much of a highlight, so I'd probably pass on one with an off the shelf handle and wait for the full package.

I do agree though that it would be a good move and that you'd sell a lot of them.

Edit: I just reconsidered, I would totally go for one if it would be possible to get it re-handled with a proper Dave Martell handle at a later date.

I guess it could be considered kind of like an instalment plan, you pay 60% now and you get the knife, you then have the option of paying the other 40% to get the full works. Is that how it would work?

I like the idea. Some people don't care that much about handles, and you're talking about a pretty big price difference.
I'm not a big fan of ho handles in general. I like Mucho's idea about having a slightly upgraded handle as an option.

I wanted to chime in as someone who works in a kitchen and say dave may have picked up on something here that many vendors and makers in this market don't...

Not everyone can put down 4-600 USD on a knife! In particular, the overwhelming majority of people in the service industry don't have money to burn. :razz:

Sounds like a good idea. After all - we can still send the knife to you later to have a custom handle done :D

But the handles are soo good. I can see the motivation but for me it would be like driving a Ferrari with a vinyl bench seat. Perhaps a subtle distinction for some, but over thousands of miles of twists and turns, for me, a worthwhile investment at the end of the day.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for all the great input and ideas you guys provided. You've given me a lot to think about and reinforced many of the ideas I already had.

I do plan on doing something with a pre-made handle option and there's some really good opportunities being presented so it should be a go on at least one level if not more. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!
Dave

Back