Home Cook Knife Upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undtiny

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
either
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 mm preferred but willing to try 210 mm or 270 mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no, targeting stainless clad carbon specifically
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home and small group cooking demonstrations
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
general purpose home kitchen knife (will not break poultry bones and probably won't fillet fish since I have other knives for those tasks)
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
240 mm Tojiro DP Gyuto
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-Cut, Rock , Slice, and Walk. Starting to do more and more push cutting.
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
A lot of knives will have better aesthetics then my tojiro. I am not a huge fan of knives with kurouchi finishes, otherwise open to anything
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
a rounded spin would be nice
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Easier sharpening, less stiction/better food release and better edge retention.
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Since I'm a home cook a decent amount of edge retention would be nice. If It has a decent carbon core then as long as the edge retention is appropriate for the steel type that would be fine.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
side grain wood and sani-safe (plan on eventually getting end grain)
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I have a King 1000/6000 combo stone. Plan on upgrading as need be.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
No
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS[/B][/B]

Thanks for those of you who have commented in my other post about a knife for my friend. I currently treat my tojiro like a baby, only hand washing it and drying before putting it away in the box I got it in. Upkeep for carbon won't be an issue since most of my cutting session are 10-15 minutes with only the periodic hour or longer session for the healthy cooking demonstrations I do. Thanks again for any information you can offer. As stated in my other post I am currently leaning towards a Itinomonn Kasumi 240 mm Gyuto.

Among the tandard suspects, the Itinomonn which you mention is probably your best bet. Concerning your Tojiro DP - the edge holding of Tojiro knives is not bad at all (well HT VG-10 is no slouch even if not the most favourite steel around here). So if you want an improvement in edge holding, than you would be looking at either super-blue or the SKD (A2) or SLDL (D2) steels (e.g. Yoshikane). As a matter of fact - my Yoshikane SKD has excellent edge holding, but I am not sure whether 240 gyuto can be had for that price. Also - the Yoshikane is pretty much a wide bevel knife with nearly flat bevels and while not thick it will certainly be thicker 5 and more mm behind the edge than e.g. the Itinomonn you mention.

Another option at excatly $200 is I kazuchi from JKI - extra thin knife with super blue core and stainless cladding. I would not expect miracles concerning the food release with a knife that thin though.

Among the tandard suspects, the Itinomonn which you mention is probably your best bet. Concerning your Tojiro DP - the edge holding of Tojiro knives is not bad at all (well HT VG-10 is no slouch even if not the most favourite steel around here). So if you want an improvement in edge holding, than you would be looking at either super-blue or the SKD (A2) or SLDL (D2) steels (e.g. Yoshikane). As a matter of fact - my Yoshikane SKD has excellent edge holding, but I am not sure whether 240 gyuto can be had for that price. Also - the Yoshikane is pretty much a wide bevel knife with nearly flat bevels and while not thick it will certainly be thicker 5 and more mm behind the edge than e.g. the Itinomonn you mention.

Another option at excatly $200 is I kazuchi from JKI - extra thin knife with super blue core and stainless cladding. I would not expect miracles concerning the food release with a knife that thin though.

The one I had was MUCH thinner than Jon's website lists them as, and even with that, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone with that budget. It was light while maintaining a bit of forward balance, looked like a million bucks with a polish and etch job, and cut exceedingly well for such a thin knife. It had just enough convexity behind the edge to make it actually enjoyable to cut with, vs sticking to everything as I (like you lol) was expecting.

If you search V1P's posts in the BST, you might still find the thread where he sold it.

I do enjoy my Tojiro and how long it holds an edge (especially when compared to my wife's global) but better food release and easier sharpening would be nice. I really like the look of the Ikazuchi and that it comes with a saya. How does the super blue compare to the V2 in the Itinomonn?

It is very thin so that is great to know that it has decent food release.

It is very thin so that is great to know that it has decent food release.

The one I played with did anyhow...lol. That said, I've learned that even when chopping/dicing you should have some draw to your cuts...so I don't have stiction problems with many knives

Yeah, I saw that. That has me leaning towards the Itinomonn a lot. A 30% discount is pretty awesome.

Back