Quantcast
What kind of edge do you put on your edc?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of edge do you put on your edc?

What kind of edge do you put on your edc?

What stones do you use on it? Any particular reasons?

I used to just keep a working edge on it, but now I keep it absurdly shaving sharp all the time. It's kind of important for me to keep my blades impressive to the casual person.

Extremely rough. I think of my own EDC as an emergency tool that has to work at least once.

I take mine to at least surgical black arky, sometimes more. I like to be able to cut through things with one easy swipe. If I am using waterstones for something I will often touch up the EDC on what I have out. I don't worry much about which stone to use, just about how crisp the edge is.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Extremely rough. I think of my own EDC as an emergency tool that has to work at least once.

dave has a great idea....just don't give him your edc to sharpen!.....hahahahahaha.....u thought i would forget that one huh!.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    dave has a great idea....just don't give him your edc to sharpen!.....hahahahahaha.....u thought i would forget that one huh!.....ryan

dull 220 and 400 grit AO belts, couple of passes on the fine stone and then a fair bit of work on a 4 sided strop with gray, green chrome, pink no scratch and the smooth side of bare leather.

I use a Spyderco Sharmaker set to 40 deg. for my sebenza (boxes,etc.) and 30 deg. for my swayback jack (fruit only). I could use the stones but the sharpmaker is so darn convenient.

What grits do you use and how much time do you spend on each?

2k, 5k, 3mic on balsa, .5mic on leather. I've found push-cutting is 99% of what I do with a folder, since it mostly opens boxes, mail, nylon straps, bread bags, etc. That's my Benchmade. My SAK gets 1k, a little time on the 2k, strop on .5mic.

Why do you ask, might I ask? What do YOU do for your EDC?

+ Reply to Thread