Stone for thinning ZDP-189

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacetug

Reaction score
Hi folks--this is my first post here. Thanks for having me. :doublethumbsup:

I need to thin some hard stainless (some ZDP and some SG2/R2). What's a good coarse stone for that? I am considering a Shapton Pro 320 or a Gesshin 400, but not sure.

In case it helps: My other stones are a Gesshin 1200, King 1000, King 6000, and Spyderco Ultrafine slab.

Muchos thank yous!

how much thinning are you planning unless its minimal you are gonna want something more aggressive.

Welcome Spacetug!

In particular if you are speaking of monosteel knives (without soft cladding), than I would start with something like 140 Atome and them follow with 300/400 and upwards. The Gesshin 400 is a nice stone, but you would loos unnecessarily too much of it if you skip the diamond plate. If you are only about to buy coarse stone for thinning, than I would get something harder than Gesshin 400. Maybe Gesshin 320 or JNS 300.

Ah right--yes I should clarify my knives have softer stainless cladding. And the thinning I am doing is minor--thinning as part of sharpening. I am not thinning to radically change the nature of the knife.

I don't have one yet, I have DMT diamond plates 325, 600 and 1200 as well as a chosera 1k. I'm planning on buying the naniwa pro/chosera 400 as it's what all the guys in my trusty old knife shop (tosho) have recommended.

I like the ******** *** stones for taking a lot of material off very quickly without dishing the stone. I have the ******** 150 Bamboo for quick repair and the ******** *** 1K xxhard and 3K stones. If I want to go further I use my Shapton Pro 5k.

^^ only a few certain brands...

That's most unfortunate since that brand is excellent and I have been using Japanese Water Stones for 35 years sine Fred at Japan Woodworker got me started using them to sharpen my Japanese chisels and Plane Irons.

Is the ******** *** 150 grit a splash and go stone or does it require soaking? I prefer splash and go.

Is the ******** *** 150 grit a splash and go stone or does it require soaking? I prefer splash and go.

The "unstated" stone is a brief soak somewhat like the Shapton pro - but at 150 grit it's a pretty open pore stone. However once it's a bit wet it cuts very great and doesn't seem to dry out like other open pore stones. For a 150 grit stone, it's the best I've used and I highly recommend it.

At that point I use the sidewalk...cheaper and faster:)

^^ only a few certain brands...

What possible reason would there be for not allowing people to recommend specific products they find useful (assuming they're not posters with fewer than x posts)? Are there certain knife brands we can't mention, either?

Welcome Spacetug!

In particular if you are speaking of monosteel knives (without soft cladding), than I would start with something like 140 Atome and them follow with 300/400 and upwards. The Gesshin 400 is a nice stone, but you would loos unnecessarily too much of it if you skip the diamond plate. If you are only about to buy coarse stone for thinning, than I would get something harder than Gesshin 400. Maybe Gesshin 320 or JNS 300.

:plus1:

Jon carries a 220 (fast but scratches deep) and 230 also.

Back