what is your un-fanciest meal?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
some of you are artist. food artist. great meals, great pictures.

but what is your most mundane, inexpensive..food.?

me? my wife is rarely home..so when i dont cook. warm up some brown rice, steam some greens (or frozen peas) and lay on some canned sardines. i bet my good cholesterol is kicking some A.

MY tuna salad. Always have cans of good tuna; fry capers, garlic, fresh oregano, lemon and OO. never fails

But also second the thought of sardines

When lazy I steam one of those edamame bags they sell at Target. Then I add some olive oil, a can of that Ortiz tuna, some lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, some spices (sumac, sweet paprika or maybe hot sauce) and crumble some feta cheese. Done.

k.

Pasta with good olive oil, garlic, and chili flakes. Not healthy by any means, but with good pasta on hand it's delicious.

Mash up a ripe avocado, mix with shredded chicken (canned stuff from Costco is alright if short on time), garlic, salt, pepper, lime, and Serrano or jalapeño. Char up some corn tortillas to eat it with.

Pan fry thin slices of spam and eat it with rice and ketchup.

MY tuna salad. Always have cans of good tuna; fry capers, garlic, fresh oregano, lemon and OO. never fails

But also second the thought of sardines

yeah man! I love tuna salad - what about throwing some sardines into that.

an aside: canned tuna is one thing it never pays to save money on! Some of the cheaper stuff is just nasty.

Quick dinner is crisp up some Ventreche and drain on paper towels. Add 20-30 sage leaves to the fat (sometimes I drain off 1/2 the fat and put in some unsalted butter for a lighter flavor) and when crisp place on PT with Ventreche. Drain the oil and boil off the fond with a dry white. Pour over you cooked penne pasta then add the Sage and Ventreche. A little salt and pepper to taste. No Ventreche or a vegetarian, use Pinenuts.

Ventreche, unsmoked bacon, like pancetta. Pretty cool. Scrambled eggs and melted cream cheese cooked in brown butter with any bread left in the house.

Boiled potatoes smothered in fried onions, poblanos, garlic, topped with poached or fried egg. Final touch is El Yucateco green habanero sauce.

Sausage and potatoes. Brown a mix of hot and sweet Italian sausages and put into pyrex 'baker' with peeled/ rough-chopped Idaho potatoes, sliced onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and olive oil. Cover with foil and bake ~45 minutes. Remove foil and bake some more until potatoes have absorbed a tasty amount of sausage fat and olive oil. Best part is the potato pieces that stick to the pyrex and caramelize...

Hot pocket ham and cheese. Chef mic is king when you get home after a grueling day.

Sausage and potatoes. Brown a mix of hot and sweet Italian sausages and put into pyrex 'baker' with peeled/ rough-chopped Idaho potatoes, sliced onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and olive oil. Cover with foil and bake ~45 minutes. Remove foil and bake some more until potatoes have absorbed a tasty amount of sausage fat and olive oil. Best part is the potato pieces that stick to the pyrex and caramelize...

Sounds good. I might be tempted to make it even more decadent by sprinkling it with some cheese and putting it under the broiler until browned.

Well, since we are having a confessional about the nasty (not necessarily tastewise) crap we eat when no one is looking, I like to fry up a couple slices of Costco maple bacon then sauté some onions and mushrooms in the fat and add all to a nice pot of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. If I'm feeling particularly classy I'll chop up some chives and sprinkle on top.....sigh - there, I said it.

Okay, so I eat a mix of Cheerios and Mini Wheat's almost every day for breakfast. If it's a Friday maybe I have Lucky Charms (still mixed with Cheerios):(.

Sounds good. I might be tempted to make it even more decadent by sprinkling it with some cheese and putting it under the broiler until browned.
Nah, think that would go in the wrong direction. Would likely benefit from some shaved truffle, though!

Okay, so I eat a mix of Cheerios and Mini Wheat's almost every day for breakfast. If it's a Friday maybe I have Lucky Charms (still mixed with Cheerios):(.

Sounds like my breakfast except my parrots like them so much I get mugged for half of them. The macaw gets like 15 cheerios in his bottom beak and just sits there munching them one at the time and making little pleasure squeaks.

Latest posts

Back