Masakage Koishi or Kurosaki AS?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koishi is super thin behind the edge, so thin it will punish poor technique. They also seem to be getting flack lately over inconsistencies

I have the Kurosaki AS and it is a wonderful knife, from the F&F, handle, profile and its performance is stellar. That gets the nod from me

Get both. 😉
I am using every day a masakage which I chipped two weeks ago and after thinning and sharpening it s still a stellar knife.
I have the kurosaki but I haven't used it already.
Need to find a spot in my knives bag or a buyer 😊

I have the 130mm Masakage koishi ko-bunka and would not call it super thin behind the edge. It has basically a wide bevel grind which is nearly completely flat - so the thickness behind the edge goes up rather fast (not the best choice for large carrots and the like). I like mine very much - the super blue does not seem to chip and holds edge very long. I use mine mostly for soft stuff (cheese and salami).

I chipped my dropping on the floor. Yes the edge it constantly sharp! After two weeks of cutting vegetables everyday it s still sharp as a f.. ..
I will try soon the kurosaki. To me the knives look pretty the seme

Are you referring to the Kurosaki R2 Wa or the western handle gyuto. At one point I had all 3 in 240mm. The KU finish one is by far the best of the group. The western handle one is also a force to be reckoned with as well. The hammer finish on the wa version just left a little to be desired. It wasn't near as good a cutter as the other 2. I think the textured finish created a little drag. I sold that one. Solid performer, but not in the same league as the others.

I really don't have much experience with Masakage, but from what little I did I preferred the Kurosaki AS or Western handle over it.

My order of recommendation:

:)

You can see that each line is ground differently. The R2 Wa (bottom) you can also see that it's made more to look like a wide bevel knife, but the "bevel" taper doesn't start until well bellow the hammer finish.

Also note, on the KU choil shot, the hollow grinds above and below the "shinogi"(?) line. It creates an almost "W" like grind.

I don't know about the masakage gyutp but I also have the ko bunka and a kurousaki as suji, if the suji is any way like the gyutp it is a win in my opinion

Are you referring to the Kurosaki R2 Wa or the western handle gyuto. At one point I had all 3 in 240mm. The KU finish one is by far the best of the group. The western handle one is also a force to be reckoned with as well. The hammer finish on the wa version just left a little to be desired. It wasn't near as good a cutter as the other 2. I think the textured finish created a little drag. I sold that one. Solid performer, but not in the same league as the others.

I really don't have much experience with Masakage, but from what little I did I preferred the Kurosaki AS or Western handle over it.

My order of recommendation:

:)

You can see that each line is ground differently. The R2 Wa (bottom) you can also see that it's made more to look like a wide bevel knife, but the "bevel" taper doesn't start until well bellow the hammer finish.

Oh, actually I saw your KU then today in Ian's IG feed... That handle looks sick!

Yes, was thinking about the hammered AS, like the looks. But maybe I should go for the KU instead.

Just got a koishi delivered yesterday. Knives are similar, can't go wrong with either. Didn't kurosaki apprentice under kato?

Yup, Kurosaki was a pupil of Koishi. I't still prefer the looks and the grind of the Koishi. But as others have said: you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a 270 koishi and its a fantastic knife! Really thin behind the edge, edge retention is awesome, and easy to sharpen, but ive found myself sterring towards more smaller knives lately so you might see the koishi in the bst soon.

I was eyeing the R2 for a while. Nice looker, do you still have that one?

Who did the handle on the KU?

1442861843_20150921_144742-picsay_zpsrwphw6tq.jpg

Ian Rogers. He did this one plus an AS Suji (double D handle) and the Kono Ginsan. Both of which he has posted on his IG account as well. Ian's handle work is top notch. I'm not sure if he's still doing handle work for outside knives anymore though.

I have a 270 koishi and its a fantastic knife! Really thin behind the edge, edge retention is awesome, and easy to sharpen, but ive found myself sterring towards more smaller knives lately so you might see the koishi in the bst soon.

The 270s are nice. I almost bought one today at the knifewear February sale, however the price jumped almost 40 bucks on their site. Every time I look I look at a knife there it goes up or down in value..... Seems silly.

I am looking at the asai as kurouchi and it looks pretty much like the masakage...
I just bought a petty 165 mm from this serie and it s working amazingly.

Latest posts

Back