Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deBuyer frying pans

deBuyer frying pans

I want, for home kitchen use.
    I realize this is a knife forum, and you guys directed me to JKI where I got my two beautiful Konosuke White #2s, which I love.
    I have heard posters here talking about deBuyer pans so . . .

I'll start with a 20mm (8") for cooking eggs for one and add larger sizes later if I like it.
    I cannot use non-stick coated pans since it creates fumes toxic to birds.
    I hear these carbon pans become non-stick after seasoning and use and I LOVE my old cast iron skillets so I'll give these a try.

From deBuyer's website I see they come in 3 steel thicknesses:
    Lyonnaise 1 - 1.5mm
    Force Blue 2 mm
    Carbone Plus 2.5 - 3 mm

Who wants which thicknesses and why?

I'm looking online for a vendor that sells the Force Blue (I think) , with no luck.
    I'm in California so NOT in California would be nice.

buy from capital city restaurant supply @ www.capitalcityrestaurantsupply.com. They are in Bismarck ND

I own one mineral fry pan and one Carbonne. The mineral is 10in 3mm thick and the carbonne is 11in 3mm thick. The Force blue are made of steel but arent as thick. The Carbonne is awesome. It is large enough to do very large omeletes or a couple of filet. It retains heat really well. The mineral is smaller but retains heat better. It is made of iron. In the end I wish I had an 11 or 12 inch mineral pan at 3mm thick. It is an awesome pan. Will never warp. Sears incredibly well, miuch better than any lodge or even older american cast iron like Wagner that we have in the kitchen I work in.

I love DeBuyer pans, although I only have a 10" mineral. The pans are heavy and with proper care season easily and quickly. I did not force any seasoning on mine, but rather let it develop on its own, which did not take long. I used it for every meal for a few days and it was good to go. Keep in mind when buying the pans the diameter they list is measured from the rim of the pan, not the bottom...my 10" pan only has 7.5 inches of cooking surface. I would say skip the 8" and go straight for the 10", it is perfect for eggs. I have had no issues with warping, even at high heat and cannot imagine any warping from anything 2mm and above.
    Try Amazon, it is where I got mine.

Hi

I have the 12 inch mineral pan it is great for steaks etc, it is so easy to use. About six months ago I purchsed a 9.5 inch Black steel pan from Amazon for $20, it is awesome. It heats and cools in seconds, it is totally non stick now, it is light and bullet proof.

Dont misunderstand, the mineral pan is the goto pan for the big boy stuff like steaks, Tuna etc but for day to day value the Paderno stell pans are awesome.

BTW the Mineral pan 12 inch should not cost you more than $58, thats what i paid. Thats the for high grade pan, not the blue which is there cheaper steel version. I would avoid the Debuyer blue, either go mineral pan or go Paderno steel

Alan

Paderno world cuisine is one of the best bargains in carbon steel. Good build, thick 2.5mm steel, amazing deal on Amazon.com... but made in China. The Debuyer is made in France, great quality in their mineral line. Both will last a lifetime (or two) with proper care.

Hahaha! I read the title of the thread as deburring frying pans! I looked again as I sputtered "What the hell!"

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    buy from capital city restaurant supply @ www.capitalcityrestaurantsupply.com. They are in Bismarck ND

I own one mineral fry pan and one Carbonne. The mineral is 10in 3mm thick and the carbonne is 11in 3mm thick. The Force blue are made of steel but arent as thick. The Carbonne is awesome. It is large enough to do very large omeletes or a couple of filet. It retains heat really well. The mineral is smaller but retains heat better. It is made of iron. In the end I wish I had an 11 or 12 inch mineral pan at 3mm thick. It is an awesome pan. Will never warp. Sears incredibly well, miuch better than any lodge or even older american cast iron like Wagner that we have in the kitchen I work in.
    I'm confused. Is the pan cast iron or steel? Looking at the deBuyer website they all look like steel to me.

Thanks,

-AJ

They are both steel. Steel has carbon content up to 2.1%. Cast iron has carbon content of 2.1-4%. All the de Buyer lines fall into the steel category, they just market them as 99% iron because it sounds more organic/green that way.

Also, I was looking at these pans and considering getting a country fry pan. What do you guys think of this style? I have a bunch of fry pans already (cast iron, copper, aluminum clad with stainless, etc.) and don't really have a reason to buy another fry pan right now.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I have to say that using the word "organic" and anything metal really rubs me the wrong way. Only think worse for me is organic salt.

-AJ

Uglyjoe. Cool I didn't know that.

Ajhuff. I forced a cure on my mineral pan at my kitchen burning it on with the hood on using lard and allowing it to cool. After a while of use I could "fry" an egg with no oil and it wouldn't stick.