5 Bands. Give it up.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most everyone is influenced by music. It tells a lot about a person -- yet it might not tell that much when all things are considered. But when one volunteers their most influential bands or music in their life, it's interesting -- at least to me. They are offering a very crude polaroid of a portion of their life.

Are you willing to share that polaroid?

Here are my 5 bands in order of when they came into my life.

1. Billy Joel.
2. Violent Femmes.
3. Pixies.
4. Pegboy.
5. Gogol Bordello.

And yes, I'm a drinkin' man right now.

Chronological
- boards of Canada
- Pink Floyd, primarily the Barrett era
- Nujabes
- Willy Hutch
- LTJ Bukem

Chronological
- boards of Canada
- Pink Floyd, primarily the Barrett era
- Nujabes
- Willy Hutch
- LTJ Bukem

If Pink Floyd had been more my contemporary, it would have been 1.5 in my list. But my favorite album was Wish You Were Here and that was released when I was four years old. It had the play time, just not the traction for my youth.

k.

Does it have to be bands? If it's artists that were connected to phases of my life, mine would be

1) Elvis
2) John Lee Hooker
3) Konstantin Wecker (leftist German songwriter)
4) Victor Jara (leftist Chilean songwriter)
5) Ella Fitzgerald

it has been a strange journey...

Stefan

Yeah, you are right, artists (bands) same thing, good point. Btw, I saw John Lee Hooker at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1990. To this day, it is one of the most memorable sets I have ever seen and it ended in a way that was totally John Lee. They were just finishing up and everyone was doing their final solos and right before they get to John Lee Hooker, the power blows and everything goes dark. And all we hear after that is a weary old man saying: "Well, I guess that's all folks. Good-bye." I never even saw him leave the stage, but I waited in those off-stage seats for 4 hours to get to see him play.

k.

Does it have to be bands? If it's artists that were connected to phases of my life, mine would be

1) Elvis
2) John Lee Hooker
3) Konstantin Wecker (leftist German songwriter)
4) Victor Jara (leftist Chilean songwriter)
5) Ella Fitzgerald

it has been a strange journey...

Stefan

1) backstreet Boys
2) Wildecker Herzbuben
3) Böhse Onkelz
4) Heroes del Silencio
5) ABBA

I might have had one too many. I might be joking. Or am I? [emoji12]

Beatles
Floyd
Grateful Dead
Miles Davis
Phish

OK, I'm old...:lol2:

In no particular order

Rage against the machine
Red hot chili peppers
BB King
John Butler (solo or trio)
The Living End

In no particular order

Rage against the machine
Red hot chili peppers
BB King
John Butler (solo or trio)
The Living End

I EFFEN love The Living End. It is hard to like a song about Dunblane, but 'Monday' was the right anthem at that time when gun violence was just beginning. That first album rocked. Second, not as much though. I still love them, and they make the cut into my punk playlist always. Didn't expect that malexthekid.

[video=youtube;vtcIH-FKx6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcIH-FKx6E[/video]

edit: just checked my iPhone, the other songs on my device are: Have They Forgotten and Prisoner of Society.

The Beatles
The Supremes
Elton John
Doobie Brothers
James Taylor

Beatles
Dylan
The Who
Steeleye Span
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

This is somewhat chronological, and because live concerts ae were it's at I've included that as well;).

Beatles - never saw I'm too young
Jackson Brown (wore out 2 Running On Empty) and now own it in surround - never saw
Rush -saw them a few times in the early 80's
Grateful Dead saw them a bunch of times in the 80's and 90's - but only followed them between MSG and Hampton.
Talking Heads - never saw and am old enough to have done so.:beatinghead:
Phish - saw a few times in 1990 and 1991 at the Bayou, maybe 250 people the first time, about 800 the last time), never bothered to see them once they got big:beatinghead::beatinghead:

So hard to just work in 5. Music has and always will be a huge part of who we are.

Interesting thread.

Ted Nugent
Black Sabbath/Ozzy
Violent fems
Metallica
Creed

Pink Floyd (David Gilmour as a solo artist also counts here)
Bill Frisell
Slint
Paul Simon
Rammstein

On an Island is the most underrated album of the 00's.

Pussycat Dolls
Britney Spears Mississippi PWT
Guns and Roses
Pretty Ricky
Justin Beaver

Johnny Cash
Hendrix / Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tool
Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Buffett

Sorry that's six but Jimi and SRV run hand n hand in my world. I run a lot of directions but these are my mainstays when I come back to a genre.

I'm more inclined toward favorite albums than artists but lets do these:

Joni Mitchell
Smashing Pumpkins - through siamese dream
Van Morrison
Niel Young - through RNS
Tool

Not in any particular order

Roy Orbison
Radiohead
Modest Mouse
The Talking Heads
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers

Seriously love female singers some mentioned already Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac add Nanci Griffith, Chrisse Hynde and the Pretenders, Lady Gaga

And a few sisters Roberta Flack, Diana Ross, Alicia Keys, Billie Holiday, Gladys Knight, Tracy Chapman.

FLOW
NICO Touches the Walls
Orange Range
The Offspring
Foo Fighters

Back