Hiw to prepare sushi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well as a Italian chef I never experienced preparing sushi.
My most concern is about Rise.
So here is the question :
Which is the secret to make the perfect sushi rise??
I promise my wife that I will make to her sushi the next Monday 😂😂
I have no clue.. Help meeee

Rince the rice many times until the water runs clear.

Equal parts rice to water.

Cook 20 minutes then let it steam for 10 more.

For the Su (vinegar mixture) 4 parts rice wine vinegar 2 parts sugar 1 part salt.

10 to 1 ratio of rice to su.

[video=youtube;BZSg_5462O0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSg_5462O0[/video]

How do you know when you've failed to make decent sushi rice

Well as a Italian chef I never experienced preparing sushi.
My most concern is about Rise.
So here is the question :
Which is the secret to make the perfect sushi rise??
I promise my wife that I will make to her sushi the next Monday 😂😂
I have no clue.. Help meeee

It won't help you make perfect sumeshi — that takes a lot of experience — but maybe this article will give you some guidelines: Chef Ryan Roadhouse on Rice.

Thanks o th great article. Really helpful.

There's a thread on here from couple years ago that is a 4 to 5 page tutorial on sushi rice. (No google-fu from cell phone or I would include link)

My takeaways were start with good rice and use Theory's "recipe".

Theory's su mixture will work we would put a sheet of Kombu seaweed in the mix. Have fun making sushi

I usually add a bit of kombu to either the mix as well, along with some mirin(not corn syrup mirin) and a bit less sugar. Japanese sugar tastes a bit different too. Temaki gold is a really good and readily available rice that's pricey but shouldn't matter in a home setting. I do the rinse, soak, dry, 1:1 in a pot, bring to a boil, seal the lid with a ring of foil, 17 minutes on a super low simmer, let sit off heat for 10. I'm a pretty firm believer that you can't make good sushi with bad rice. The fanning of the rice I was told is important and overlooked and also a fun way to get a second person involved. It's supposed to help the sheen of the rice. A rice paddle is helpful as well in all this, a cheap bamboo one is fine.

Back