Hi from Tokyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabasaurus

Reaction score
Hi all, moved to Tokyo 18 months ago for my wife's work and became a stay at home dad. She told me to find a new hobby so it's been knives (something she has regretted ever since). I have weekly study with my sensei on knife terminology, history, metallurgy and selection and have done some knife skills courses with chefs. I am struggling to get into the Kamata beginners sharpening course and I am open to suggestions on what direction to take as my Japanese is not strong enough to play with the locals (nor do I have 10 years spare to do an apprenticeship in knife making). I have read some of your threads and I know there is an ocean of information out there, especially from the accredited chefs using this site. I have done the pilgrimage to Shigeharu and Aritsugu in Kyoto, have plans for Sakai and regularly visit Tsukiji and Kappabashi. So...2 more years, at least, in Tokyo.........any suggestions?

There are sharpening sessions in Chiba and Sanjo I've come across but never been to, and they're hosted by some of the real bigwigs people discuss here, such as Shinichiro Yamamoto from Hide, Iizuka and, if memory serves, Kato.

Welcome aboard! There was a Sakai knife show/making event (that I missed by 2 days) Last December; I think it's a regular thing. I'll try to find the link. Maybe a visit to Tosa?

Thanks for the heads up, already looking into the Kurouchi knives from Tosa. Any info on knife shows would be great.

There are sharpening sessions in Chiba and Sanjo I've come across but never been to, and they're hosted by some of the real bigwigs people discuss here, such as Shinichiro Yamamoto from Hide, Iizuka and, if memory serves, Kato.

I'd appreciate any details you have on this. I have the time and a car over here and no luck looking for this using Google.

I'd appreciate any details you have on this. I have the time and a car over here and no luck looking for this using Google.

hope you know about the tolls ;) http://www2.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~masden/tolls/

I have a friend who has been a few times for work and she says you're better off taking the train if you're going to a different city. Supposed to be faster and cheaper! Anyway, I'm sure you know this.

hope you know about the tolls ;) http://www2.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~masden/tolls/

I have a friend who has been a few times for work and she says you're better off taking the train if you're going to a different city. Supposed to be faster and cheaper! Anyway, I'm sure you know this.

Yeah! It's more expensive (in tolls) to drive to Narita airport than it is to catch the Narita express. I drove to lake Suwa in Nagano last year and that was ex'y. Costs about $12 just to get to the other side of Chiyoda-ku (cbd) and back. It's the congestion that kills you.

Back