Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Forged in Fire"

I have to say I like the "concept" of the show, but the execution as many have said is pretty poor =/

At the same time, I will still probably watch all the episodes =p

Same judges again this season. I know they put out a call for knifemakers to interview for being on the show last summer. Met the "it will kill" guy a month ago but never had a chance to ask him if they are possibly looking for any replacements on the judges. I would like to suggest myself over a certain knifemaker on the panel.

Did you notice they he didn't say "keeelll" last night. He clearly articulated "It will Kill."

Even if there's a lot of jibba, jabba, its still cool to hear them talk about grinding, tempering, hardening, weight, handle designs, rope cut testing...

Like I said before, its Chopped version of blade smithing.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I know a smith who was invited to be involved with this show last season. He declined. The whole concept belittles the art and craft inherent in what bladesmiths do, and most of the smiths I know who DID accept have been flooded with orders...only, the potential customers FREAK when they're given the price.

"But, I saw you make a knife in three hours!!"

Even the smith I mentioned above who declined (for that specific reason), fends off 10 or more potential 'customers' like that a week.

"But I saw Rich Greenwood of Pokabu-Forge make a knife in three hours!!"

Bleh!

No thanks.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

I kind of liked the war hammers.....you could tenderize the crap out of a chicken breast with one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfmacaw View Post
    I kind of liked the war hammers.....you could tenderize the crap out of a chicken breast with one of those!
    Good to think outside the box!

Guys sorry to say but after my one viewing it looks like a pretty lame show. If it had less showbiz and more technical focus it would be interesting but, as is I can't stand the hype from the announcers.

I guess I need to stick to the Science Channel or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
    Guys sorry to say but after my one viewing it looks like a pretty lame show. If it had less showbiz and more technical focus it would be interesting but, as is I can't stand the hype from the announcers.

I guess I need to stick to the Science Channel or something.
    Unfortunately the "average" or probably the 2nd sigma viewer doesn't really get or care about the v-grind extravaganza of the legendary Kato Gyuto.......bummer though, I wish it was more of a 'science' channel because the art of bladesmithing kitchen knives if fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    I know a smith who was invited to be involved with this show last season. He declined. The whole concept belittles the art and craft inherent in what bladesmiths do, and most of the smiths I know who DID accept have been flooded with orders...only, the potential customers FREAK when they're given the price.

"But, I saw you make a knife in three hours!!"

Even the smith I mentioned above who declined (for that specific reason), fends off 10 or more potential 'customers' like that a week.

"But I saw Rich Greenwood of Pokabu-Forge make a knife in three hours!!"

Bleh!

No thanks.
    A number of years ago I spent a week in a knife fighting class put on by Gunsite. The late Phil Hartsfield had a cutting demonstration with his knives that was really impressive. After the demonstration most of the people in the room rushed up to get his catalog only to take one look at this prices and throw the flier back down on the table! The general public still thinks anything over maybe $50 for a knife is astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    A number of years ago I spent a week in a knife fighting class put on by Gunsite. The late Phil Hartsfield had a cutting demonstration with his knives that was really impressive. After the demonstration most of the people in the room rushed up to get his catalog only to take one look at this prices and throw the flier back down on the table! The general public still thinks anything over maybe $50 for a knife is astronomical.
    Agreed! However, this is as a direct result of the show. I personally just think it made a joke out of what bladesmiths do. Not that it should be respected as some esteemed craft by everyone...but a professional who has earned that title in any format...particularly one so reliant on hard won skill...should be respected for that effort. Don't you think? I mean...from the ridiculous methods they use for judging (I mean come on, how hard would it be to hire an actual JSA sensei to test cut with your katana?), to the whole 'game show' aspect of the thing...the show's a farce in my opinion.

Count me in for more 'cool' science, less reality TV, thanks.

Btw...I know of a bladesmith whose rather thin behind the edge kitchen knives are scheduled to be put through their paces against tatami next to a full on katana in the not so distant future.

I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..