Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes a Good Knife Video?

What Makes a Good Knife Video?

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing all sorts of knives in action, but after seeing a lot of good videos (Salty's grind series), Jon's informative product videos, and even still photos of Colin's pass-around feedback, I was thinking about what some of the 'best' qualities were for videos.

Here are some things I like in videos:

(1) Comparisons to other knives. Cutting through an onion or tomato is fine with one knife, but comparing it to another knife makes the point better. I don't mind the videos of freakishly sharp knives, but they aren't my favorite.

(2) Including information/video about food release and wedging is always interesting to me.

(3) And I always feel I am learning something with Jon's videos. So I guess education is always good.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I strongly prefer knife videos in which the presenter is wearing clothes.

Stefan

(This is too easy). That's only because of the forum's demographics . .

Like in a ll videos and films blood helps to make it great

Interesting thread, I was planning to try and make a few vids this weekend, so was thinking along these lines of what makes a good vid
    Do people prefer a running dialogue, or can I just shut up and cut? ( I'd rather not speak...)
    Lots of shorter vids, or one per theme?e.g. 5 gyutos chopping onions- 5 vids or one

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post

Stefan
    LOL, I still have that Salty video burned in my head too.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

No matter how good the video is, a little narration is always helpful. And no crappy soundtrack music; just something subdued if at all.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post

Stefan
    Funny I was just thinking that the one thing that knife videos and knife shows were missing was hot young chicks in skin tight closes, hell works for the car and gun shows? I surprised looking at all the other type of trade shows?
    Come on knife makers you can't tell me you wouldn't get more traffic at your tables if you did it like this

lol i have that copy of import tuner from years ago somewhere in my basement with all my other car magazines as that is what i was into in high school

I like "information rich" content, even if it isn't particularly useful to me. A little personality helps, too. I'm not saying you have to be somebody you're not but it doesn't have to be devoid of your own personal tastes and opinions. It's hard to be interesting without offending somebody, haha.