Kato not for you ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a Kato, and it wasn't for them ?. I don't think I've ever heard of a situation for a Kato not being their style. Which is a great thing. I'm just curious. It just seems like every other knife I've ever looked into , there been at least one person for whom knife x did not meet their expectations, or wasn't what they were looking for.

I had one for a little bit and really liked it but I try not to keep to many knives around, and when it came down to it I used some others more. This was before the current Kato wave, the one I bought was languishing on page 3 of BST...

I have a kato. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I personally expected a bit more from it considering the hype of it and how hard they were to acquire.

I didn't love either of the Kato gyuto I tried. They are definitely a beast of a knife and unique though just didn't fit for me.

The Kato petty on the other hand is outstanding =)

Had one, have used a few...Watanabe won out for heavyweight knife in my setup. May own one again, but many knives ahead of that. Very good cutter, but just like anything else knife related it is such a personal thing that what is the best for one is not necessarily the best for all.

Had one and sold it after a couple of uses at home. Cut well, but I didn't like the profile or weight of the knife.

Watanabe ended up being what I kept at the time too, since swapped for a Masamoto. If the Watanabe had a pointier tip I would never have sold it, or bought another KS.

Thanks guys . Makes me feel a little better. I had a Kato lined up to be set aside, but I had never actually even seen one in person. It was just a lot of things pulling me away from the mystere of having such a coveted blade. The exchange rate right now was a large factor, (Canadian ). That in conjunction with the demand. so the price jumped 30% from what I thought it was going to be. Also the handle was a right handed d shape in Ho wood( left handed ). Couldn't pull the trigger

I have a few Katos. My current daily user is a 180 Gyuto. I love the feeling and heft for such a small blade. It has a fairly unique feel that I happen to really enjoy. I'm glad I have it. Given the opportunity to consider my purchase again, I wouldn't hesitate.

Watanabe ended up being what I kept at the time too, since swapped for a Masamoto. If the Watanabe had a pointier tip I would never have sold it, or bought another KS.

Yeah, the Watanabe is kind of like a really big santoku but it's such a sweet cutter. Another KS is definitely on my short list.

I think that Kato are very distinctive knives where most buyers probably know what they're getting into ahead of time. I've never bothered to look into picking one up as I'm sure it wouldn't fit my tastes (and I'm a lefty), but of course I've never used one so I can't know for certain.

Given the scarcity and the need to hunt for one, I'd assume that most Kato go to people who know that they want that kind of knife.

loving my kato original at the moment, the flatter profile works better for me than the curvier workhorse version.

loving my kato original at the moment, the flatter profile works better for me than the curvier workhorse version.

I thought the Workhorse was the original? Only one I saw around here for a few years and then all these other 'non' workhorse Katos showed up...

The non-workhorse (original) is the knife that Kato has been making and selling in Japan for a long time - before the hype. Workhorse is just the JNS specification. They were easier to get too - and cheaper - I bought a 240mm gyuto for $400AUD which is about $280USD.

The non-workhorse (original) is the knife that Kato has been making and selling in Japan for a long time - before the hype. Workhorse is just the JNS specification. They were easier to get too - and cheaper - I bought a 240mm gyuto for $400AUD which is about $280USD.

That is a STEAL!!!!

EDIT - just checked the invoice - it was $470 AUD (so $330USD)

EDIT - just checked the invoice - it was $470 AUD (so $330USD)

Still a killer price for a Kato. I'm still looking to try an original Kato as I have only tried the JNS Workhorse Kato thus far.

Workhorses were what Jns introduced a few years back. 'Original' non-Workhorses were available in Japan before, but now seem available abroad too. (Meaning, I'm assuming they're the same Japan models, not Westernised somewhat like the Workhorse.)

I sold my monster 240 but love my 180 Workhorse. Id like to try a Japan 210 gyuto. Sold a petty too because I use the gyuto instead.

Kato is a cool and a special knife with VERY front-forward weight distribution. But for many tasks I found it little too tkick - halving a squash with it was neraly impossible. But on items that are not so hard it performs really nicely (mostly because of the weight distribution - that 'fall through food' comes from that, but of course the grind plays an important role too)

Still a killer price for a Kato. I'm still looking to try an original Kato as I have only tried the JNS Workhorse Kato thus far.

I actually never tried the JNS Workhorse Kato before, all of my kato gyutos are original and so far I think they are awesome; I have been using my 210 very regularly.

Kato is a cool and a special knife with VERY front-forward weight distribution. But for many tasks I found it little too tkick - halving a squash with it was neraly impossible. But on items that are not so hard it performs really nicely (mostly because of the weight distribution - that 'fall through food' comes from that, but of course the grind plays an important role too)

Have to completely agree with this. The Kato I had balanced about 40mm in front of the heel. The blade is interesting in that midblade it is a bit thick, but the tip was very thin on the one I had actually - so horizontal slices on onions were quite easy, though potatoes didn't feel great.

I've got the Workhorse 180 and it's got a very different character than the other models, it seems. Super thin at the tip, thin for the front half (thinner than Shigefusa and Wakui), and thick at the heel. Relatively neutral balance with the chestnut handle. Great knife...not magic, but still pretty great.

I've got the Workhorse 180 and it's got a very different character than the other models, it seems. Super thin at the tip, thin for the front half (thinner than Shigefusa and Wakui), and thick at the heel. Relatively neutral balance with the chestnut handle. Great knife...not magic, but still pretty great.

Agrees with my experience of the workhorse 180 Gyuto. Pretty great is a nice way of putting it ;)

Kato is my favorite for gyutos. I have four of them and one coming.
I have one workhorse 210, and a 'stock' 210. Love them both.
Im just totally in love with these knives in nearly all regards. I consider them 100% worth the money.
I've sold off nearly all my other knives so I could acquire a spread of Kato.
This guy has no heir, so when he's done he's done and nobody in my opinion makes a knife like him. You can't just bake a blank or a sheet of metal and grind it down and get a similar quality product.

I've owned 3 kato gyutos and they're just not for me. I really don't like the profile of the workhorse series and I chipped the edge too often.

I've owned 3 kato gyutos and they're just not for me. I really don't like the profile of the workhorse series and I chipped the edge too often.

May I ask if you had recent workhorses or the older ones? The two older ones I had seemed thick enough that chipping shouldn't happen even if it was at a high hardness.

I've owned one of the older ones and 2 of the newer gyutos. All of them seemed to be pretty thin behind the edge and actually the older one chipped more than the newer ones. I just don't possess that delicate touch a knife like this requires but at the same time I haven't had this problem with other Gyutos. I suppose the weight of the blade mislead me as I figured it could take a beating the way other heavier knives like heiji,Toyama, watanabe or Mizuno can. Great knife nevertheless, it just doesn't suit my technique.

Back