How do you use the heel of Gyuto Nakiri Santoku etc?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomo4me

Reaction score
I like to grind a small radius on the heel of my knives so that they don't catch and snag towels during clean up.

Do many of you use the heel of these knives such that you need the sharp corner there? If so please describe the task performed.

Trimming eyes out of potatoes, nasty bits off mushrooms, etc.

Piercing, twisting and removing avocado pits. Although if the heel tip is rounded, it still works ok usually.

I don't use them for anything, but I don't have any issues which would lead me to round them off.

I very slightly radius every knife that comes through my hands. I can't see a use for a sharp heel except to remove (apparently) unwanted chunks out of stray middle fingers.

I'm with Cris, except that my hatred of a sharp heel is such that I run it the length of the brick retaining wall outside the kitchen window. They never bother me any more after that.

Nothing like busting a couple holes in 46 ounce cans for Bloody Mary mix with the heel of a fine knife.

I do the same; first thing what I do when I get the knife is to round the hell. I do not use it for nothing so no harm done.

The only negative of rounding it is that you can not see the thinness behind the edge if taking the coil shot...

Back