Knife grips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisputt

Reaction score
I really don't get it.
Why is it 'wrong' to grip your knife and putting your index finger on the spine?(even though I use the pinch grip)
I see iron chefs do it,(japanese)chefs and in the (shokugekinosoma) manga and anime.
Is it a traditional japanese thing?
WHY CANT WE PUT THE FINGER ON TH SPINE OF THE KNIFE?

Honestly, I don't think its wrong at all. With pettys, sujis, I find it ideal not just for knuckle clearance, but for precision/detail work(chik fab, silverskin, sashimi, etc).

Who said it was wrong?

So would it be better than the pinch grip?
You don't think it's odd to complain that people are a bit overconfident in their technique prescription, then ask for technique prescription?

You don't think it's odd to complain that people are a bit overconfident in their technique prescription, then ask for technique prescription?

Hahaha. I was just looking for an opinion.

You can do whatever you want.

I think the issue is that with a larger knife, the pointing grip only really gives the feeling of control. For a scalpel or a petty the pointing grip is ideal but for a gyuto you need more than an extended finger to properly stabilise the blade.

I say it depends on what you're doing. I use all grips and it really depends on my task. Everyone has their own style.

Basic geometry. When you hold at the handle 1 degree shake gives a lot more deviation at the tip than when you hold it at the pinch point.

Back