Quantcast
If you had $500 for a Gyuto what would you get? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had $500 for a Gyuto what would you get?

Carter. Or Heiji

This - I love the profile. http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...lo-horn-handle

More likely I'd get a 240mm Sakai Yusuke white steel and have $300+ to spend on single malts.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Carter. Or Heiji
    Also tough to beat.

Maybe the real question is, If you had $2000 to spend, what four $500 gyutos would you buy?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Also tough to beat.

Maybe the real question is, If you had $2000 to spend, what four $500 gyutos would you buy?
    Haha! There you go. I'd probably get a custom something from Rottman even though I already have two and I have two more in the works.

Shigefusa 240 Kasumi.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    More likely I'd get a 240mm Sakai Yusuke white steel and have $300+ to spend on single malts.
    Oh man... I'm having a hard time finding fault with this answer, though that might just be because this week has really sucked so far. That would get a few nice malts. Or this guy (provided you eliminate enough people from the backlog/waitinglist).

+1 on Carter...

Hi

Just curious but would you put the Devin Thomas Gyuto's in this discussion ?

Is he at the same level as Carter ?

Im talking about his mid level, the ones from CKTG

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    But I have seen his handles and his says. I know he is a perfectionist and strives to become better than most
    That is actually quite annoying, I thought I was picky with my own things before, but after seeing Marko's handles I am sometimes wondering whether what I used to call 'charming idiosynchrasies of handmade products' aren't flaws after all...

So, based on Marko's work ethic and his philosophy that a knife does not have to be anorectic to be a good cutter, a gyuto from him would be high on my list. Of course, Dave fulfills the same criteria but I liked his original gyuto design better than the current one, so maybe it would be a suji from him. Of course, other makers have shown great knives here, and a Shigefusa should probably be in everybody's knife block, but for me the fun would be more in getting a knife that was made by a friend - or at least a virtual friend....

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Oh man... I'm having a hard time finding fault with this answer, though that might just be because this week has really sucked so far. That would get a few nice malts. Or this guy (provided you eliminate enough people from the backlog/waitinglist).
    Hey Ben, I still have a 1974 Ardbeg and a 1971 Caol Ila Adelphi bottling, wanna come over? I also thought that a decent gyuto and a bottle of malt would be the most fitting answer for me.

Stefan