Quantcast
If you had $500 for a Gyuto what would you get? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: If you had $500 for a Gyuto what would you get?

Cool

I'd spend my money on a new style Del Ealy!! I like his enthusiasm and commitment to make the best possible chef's knife!!

I like his distinctive style and look of his knives.
    I met him and saw his knives at this year's ECG and was tempted to get one of his knives, but I am not a fan of carbon knives......but now he is also making them in AEB-L, so watch out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratton View Post
    I'd spend my money on a new style Del Ealy!! I like his enthusiasm and commitment to make the best possible chef's knife!!

I like his distinctive style and look of his knives.
    I met him and saw his knives at this year's ECG and was tempted to get one of his knives, but I am not a fan of carbon knives......but now he is also making them in AEB-L, so watch out!!
    +1 on Del's attitude
    +1 on Del's split wa handle design: super cool

However, if we're talkin about curiosity or buying just on fan-boy love, then I will admit that I'm also on the list for a Marko-yuto.

You'd probably laugh... but this is interesting to me right now... Tanaka Gyuto 240

but that is likely to change between now and the next time I post... If Carter hadn't just listed some nice knives with fantastic handles, and if Mark hadn't been so busy with stabilized wood and if Kalaeb hadn't had those knives for sale , and if Stefan didn't have that 225 custom Shigefusa gyuto for sale and if Wantanabe didn't have that guyto in stock , and if DT didnt have those pettys pre-ordered I might have the $500 to buy it.

I hope they all make it to my door step on the same day.

After using my superbly ground Dave suji in place of my regular gyutos all week, a Dave Martell 240mm would also be a great performer in the sub $500 category.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Big +1 on Del's attitude and drive to improve & perfect. It was a big reason why I got one of his knives. Haven't put much use into it yet, but the few times I used it I thought it felt pretty damn nice in-use.
    Len

well. I might have just put a down on one of Del's new O1's so I guess thats where my 500 is going.

240 Kasumi Shigefusa with a Keller (or other) custom handle. edges out the Mizuno 270 with Keller handle i have. the Shig is my favorite knife, and i've had a few. i have a 240 Kitaeji Yoshikane in V2 on its way to me, and if its as similar to the Shigefusa as i'm hoping, maybe that, as the wait period on a new one is much shorter than Shigefusa. i rather liked the Masamoto KS i had for a while, and Scott is right that it's a great deal, but it didn't feel as nice in the hand to me as the Shig (similar to the Mizuno, really). any of the ones i've mentioned, sans custom handles, would leave plenty of room for a couple good stones or a couple bottles of good Scotch.