If you had $500 for a Gyuto what would you get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
If I remember correctly someone might have posted something like this a while back, but can't remember. So here it is. If you have $500.00 to spend on any gyuto what would it be? There is a slight method to my madness in asking for future reference. Would you go with a Shig? Watanabe? Miz? Or something else?

Are we assuming we have no other gyutos?

Easy. If you can wait, one of Pierre's thin Gyutos (210-240mm), if not, one of the 7.6sun Carter funayukis he has up on his site right now...
Or this. ;)

cf72be1b.jpg

Shige is to reactive. And since marko is a coming star you even got a says and a nice handle too :)

Well as you know I am a fan of high end knives and for 500 marko is the best deal atm :)

Haha. Have you gotten your hands on a prototype or is that based on what you've seen so far and Marko's work ethic/nature?

No :(
But I have seen his handles and his says. I know he is a perfectionist and strives to become better than most :) I also know he works with the best makers out there and have studied kitchen knives for a long time, and seen most of high end knives there is to see. What impresses me the most is that he has been doing knives for a long time no, he studies and learns, but he has not yet started to sell knives. He won't sell any seconds and that tells me that he puts a lot of energy in making the best there is. He don't rush to sell knives.

I have orders in at most high end makers, but the one that I ordered most from is Marko. (It think I ordered 8 knives to be delivers over the next couple of years)

haha no, just seeing what you other guys would pick. Thinking about what to get with the refund later in the year so doing the home work now to avoid the Christmas rush.
Are we assuming we have no other gyutos?

Also tough to beat.

Maybe the real question is, If you had $2000 to spend, what four $500 gyutos would you buy?

Haha! There you go. I'd probably get a custom something from Rottman even though I already have two and I have two more in the works.

More likely I'd get a 240mm Sakai Yusuke white steel and have $300+ to spend on single malts.

Oh man... I'm having a hard time finding fault with this answer, though that might just be because this week has really sucked so far. That would get a few nice malts. Or this guy (provided you eliminate enough people from the backlog/waitinglist).

Hi

Just curious but would you put the Devin Thomas Gyuto's in this discussion ?

Is he at the same level as Carter ?

Im talking about his mid level, the ones from CKTG

Alan

But I have seen his handles and his says. I know he is a perfectionist and strives to become better than most :)

That is actually quite annoying, I thought I was picky with my own things before, but after seeing Marko's handles I am sometimes wondering whether what I used to call 'charming idiosynchrasies of handmade products' aren't flaws after all... :scratchhead:

So, based on Marko's work ethic and his philosophy that a knife does not have to be anorectic to be a good cutter, a gyuto from him would be high on my list. Of course, Dave fulfills the same criteria but I liked his original gyuto design better than the current one, so maybe it would be a suji from him. Of course, other makers have shown great knives here, and a Shigefusa should probably be in everybody's knife block, but for me the fun would be more in getting a knife that was made by a friend - or at least a virtual friend....

Stefan

Oh man... I'm having a hard time finding fault with this answer, though that might just be because this week has really sucked so far. That would get a few nice malts. Or this guy (provided you eliminate enough people from the backlog/waitinglist).

Hey Ben, I still have a 1974 Ardbeg and a 1971 Caol Ila Adelphi bottling, wanna come over? :) I also thought that a decent gyuto and a bottle of malt would be the most fitting answer for me.

Stefan

Easy. If you can wait, one of Pierre's thin Gyutos (210-240mm), if not, one of the 7.6sun Carter funayukis he has up on his site right now...
Or this. ;)

cf72be1b.jpg

Which series is that? :tongue4:

Hi

Just curious but would you put the Devin Thomas Gyuto's in this discussion ?

Is he at the same level as Carter ?

Im talking about his mid level, the ones from CKTG

Alan

Of the knives I have experience with from this line, I would say some are outstanding (argueably in the class as a typical Carter) but most are in the very good performers category in terms of pure cutting ability. As far as stainless steel goes, it is argueably one of the best. The fit and finish is generally very good. I have seen a few with significant grind imperfections, twists and/or bends in the blades (as well as some other minor imperfections) and as far as I know, Devin personally rectifies these sorts of issues when they are brought to his attention. If it is any indication, most of the folks I know personally have bought a DTITK and of those, all but one still have one, including myself.

TamanegiKin, that beauty is a 6.9 sun IP funayuki (Kurouchi) with ironwood scales and red fiber liners. It has Copper G10 lamiate bolster and the height is 47mm.
Did I miss anything, Rick? :D

With $500 to use... as my *only* gyuto, I'd go with a DT ITK. I've been really happy with mine for those times when I want a stainless steel blade to use. Either that or a Konosuke Fujiyama - love that to use that thing. Have a bit left over from the $500 to spare, too.

But if it's a gyuto to join a stable of other gyutos already on-hand... for me, I'd go for a Watanabe because I've never tried one and I'm curious. But if I stick with blades I've used, I'd still say either a DT or a Kono Fujiyama. Haven't put in enough time with a Carter to join that bandwagon just yet ;)

Hey Ben, I still have a 1974 Ardbeg and a 1971 Caol Ila Adelphi bottling, wanna come over? :)

:drool::drool: Oh man. I gotta talk to the wife and see if there are any Stats or ORFE junkets in Hawaii! Blades and booze PLUS Stefan handles galore?!?! Man, that sounds pretty dang good.

If it is any indication, most of the folks I know personally have bought a DTITK and of those, all but one still have one, including myself.

Add me to the list, I still have mine and have no intention of parting.

If I had another $500.00 I would put it down on one from Marko, and I have also been eyeing the DT ITK cleaver.

KS 240 Masamoto and save $200 for weed. (Humboldt County Purple Haze)

No offense to Marko (sorry bro) but are you guys serious? He's never made one?

Salty: He offers a 100% guarantee satisfaction or money back.
And he has made lots of knives, he has not just hit the marked :)

Back