Deba vs Filleting knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisputt

Reaction score
Which is better for filleting fish and boneless/bone in meat? A deba or the filleting knife?

I'm not even sure what you're asking ? Lol. If you're talking about fish only, it comes down to preference. Some people prefer a flexible filet knife to take down fish, others a rigid filet knife. And then there's the deba, which uses slightly different technique, for me in my mind is slightly slower, but results in a marginally cleaner cut. Personally, I used a chef knife or a rigid suji/slicer for almost every fish I've ever broken down; and that's a fair amount of fish. One of my jobs, was a poisonner, where that's literally all I did until service. I've tried a flexible filet and hated it, found the blade would bend too much and get lost resulting in sloppy filets. I have a deba, but haven't used it too much to be honest. I switched jobs fairly drastically to baker at another restaurant as my custom deba finally arrived at my door ( go figure)

For bone in meat, a single bevel deba wouldn't be much use at all, unless it's a small one, for poultry. Maybe a hankotsu for boning out meat? A traditional western boning knife would do the trick.
For boneless meat, for me it would all depend on the size and application ( I.e: tenderloin : you'd need a thin blade for silver skin . Strip loin : you'd need some length to cut steaks,etc)
Hope this is somewhat helpful

Yeah i think it's a preference thing... Any of those mentioned above would work well given the proper technique... I used to use a flexible fillet for fish... Like, it work super well with a dory or turbot... But a deba would work just as well if you know what you're doing... In my opinion, the best way to cut/fillet fish is to understand and figure out its anatomy. Knowing where the flesh and bones are and knowing how to position a certain knife (may it be a deba or filleting knife) so as to have a clean fillet is the key to mastering it. And a lot of practice...

Now i use a deba for all fish cause i think it's more challeging and there's sort of an art to it... Whenever i get a super nice clean fillet with a deba, it feels so satisfying...

Would love to own and use a Deba but here in landlocked Utah fresh fish has to be flown in and is $$$$.
So I tend to purchase frozen squid in blocks at the Chinese market or Cod or Hake filets from Costco, neither of which require more than slitting the plastic off.

I'm curious if many home cooks employ Debas for tasks other than fish

Back