Should i replace my 1k stone or is it just me?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
I have been considering this for a while now, i have a minosharp 1k stone that I've had for a long time since before i really knew how to sharpen a knife.

After getting some nicer stones i hate the feel of this stone, it seems to me to be very hard and i don't get much tactile feedback.

although it seems to be doing the job. Do anyone of you have any experience with this stone?

Should i keep it or should i replace it, and if so what do you think would be a good replacement?

i currently have a gesshin 400, minosharp 1k, 6k Suehiro, and a taskashima, also dmt xxc

Well I've never used that stone, but I'm thinking that if it isn't to your liking anymore then you might want to think about getting a different one. I've been using a King for the past 7 years so that is the only 1k I've ever used but will probably upgrade to something else soon enough.

I say replace it. You don't like it! A decent 1k stone is not a budget breaker--$50 for a Bester 1200, $30 for a King 1k.

I'll be a bandwagoner and say Gesshin 2k, I really like the feel of that stone and I enjoy using it.
It is nearly twice the price of the Bester 1.2k though and it's not 2x the stone, imo. There is certainly a point of diminishing returns, as with most things, and the Bester represents a great value.

i looked at the gesshin 2k when i got the others, I'm not sure if that would be enough though since i have to sharpen quite so often, what do you guys think? a 1k is pretty necessary right?

i was looking into the chosera or SS 1k stones, although i have heard great things about the bester 1200

If you're seriously considering the Choseras, don't hesitate. The only problem is their price - in America. In Europe we pay the half...
You might consider especially the J800, more or less equivalent to other 1200 stones.
If you're expecting more feedback you may look for the SuperStones, which are softer but slower. I would think feedback is not my major concern with relatively coarse stones. Regards. Bernard

i looked at the gesshin 2k when i got the others, I'm not sure if that would be enough though since i have to sharpen quite so often, what do you guys think? a 1k is pretty necessary right?

i was looking into the chosera or SS 1k stones, although i have heard great things about the bester 1200

I use bester 1200 to sharpen other people's kitchen knives when invited, on the 2nd bester 1200 now - the original is less than half as thick and is on permanent loan :D
Now thinking I may get the Gesshin 2k when I "need" a stone 1/2k grit range :jumpy:

Jon sold me the 2k gessin as a replacement for my 1200 bester. Jon said don't think of numbers, but what it does. He was right...it cuts just like the bester but with better feedback, imo.

If you're seriously considering the Choseras, don't hesitate. The only problem is their price - in America. In Europe we pay the half...
Heya, where is a good place to get choseras in Europe? I have a couple and really like them, would be good to know somewhere that has a good price on them.
I have the 1k and it's a great stone, also have the 700 bester but prefer the feel of the chosera

If you're unhappy with it, by all means get a new one. But at the same time, does it do the job? You have a Rika, so I'm sure you don't finish on that 1K stone. You also have the 400k Gesshin for repair work. From what you're telling me, you need a "transition stone", a stone that can transition from your 400k to your Rika. Why pay extra for a "transition stone", a stone that's probably the least valuable in your lineup? Even the crappiest 1k stones and fill a "transition" role. That's me giving you a reason NOT to do it.

But heck, if you want a new one, get a new one. The Bester is a great value choice. If you're OCD like me and want the F'n best, then get the Gesshin 2K. It's like a better chosera.

Phan1- you make a great point and honestly i feel the same way that i don't need another stone although it would be nice to try something i like better. and yes i always seem to have to have the best equipment i can't help it ;)

i will think on it for a while but i think if i do il go with the Gesshin 2k that way i won't have more than one 1k stones sitting around more justifiable

Heya, where is a good place to get choseras in Europe? I have a couple and really like them, would be good to know somewhere that has a good price on them.
I have the 1k and it's a great stone, also have the 700 bester but prefer the feel of the chosera

Hey TB, check out this. That's the UK outlet, they also have webshops in Germany, Netherlands and France that usually have free shipping if you order over something like €50 IIRC.

Edit: oops, hadn't read the Benuser post.

Back