Took my 2 year old to Korin on the weekend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mom is on a business trip in Tokyo, so I took him to the city ... and didn't realize that I was so close to Korin until I walked by and certain shiny objects made me stop. Even though I was kinda scared he would reach and knock over all the expensive stuff in the narrow shop, we entered ... I showed him the display cases with knives and all he said was ...

"Papa, so many knives. Buy!"

#prouddaddy

I bet that put a gigantic smile on your face :biggrin:

I showed him the display cases with knives and all he said was ... "Papa, so many knives. Buy!"

You should spend more time with your son and less with your knives. If he's at all like my daughter then I think you misunderstood. He wasn't saying you should get any more stuff, just probably:

"Papa, so many knives. Bye!"

You should spend more time with your son and less with your knives. If he's at all like my daughter then I think you misunderstood. He wasn't saying you should get any more stuff, just probably:

"Papa, so many knives. Bye!"

ROFL!!

I think at this point he's tired of Papa and wants Mama to come back.

No, but seriously, I don't spend time with my knives when he's awake. Knives are not THAT important (I hope this doesn't get me banned here LOL)

My son just turned 3 last week, and he is definitely already a knife knut. He logs a bit of time standing on a chair at the table or cutting board sawing away with a totally-blunt butter knife. He gets really frustrated that he can't cut much, but he is no where near the point where we can get him handling a real knife, as he often grabs it by the blade, tries cutting with it upside down, etc. But he is into it! If all goes well we'll be able to get him to do all the prep for our meals by the time he is 6, and maybe by 8 he can do all the cooking, too :)

alterwisser: does mom know about this? :p

I'm picturing your son's Xmas list next year:

(child's writing) hoverboard
(child's writing) two front teeth
(child's writing) videogames
(dad's writing) shigefusa

alterwisser: does mom know about this? :p

(child's writing) hoverboard
(child's writing) two front teeth
(child's writing) videogames

Mom knows some stuff... Lol

If he's writing a list, ANY list at age three, I'm impressed!

And no Shigs in this family, were not Australian [emoji12]

Not another Shig-o-zombie, for goodness' sakes!

If all goes well we'll be able to get him to do all the prep for our meals by the time he is 6, and maybe by 8 he can do all the cooking, too :)

WB, think... If he ends up in charge, will you ever be able to use your nice knives? Perhaps not a desirable outcome

... For anyone concerned, I gifted my daughter (age 3 as of Dec) a nagura (nat.nagura, came free with Arashiyama years ago; she also collects random stones outside), a broken walnut wa-handle (heated tang, fun burnt wood smell), and plastic prep knive for plastic 'food' toys. Small connections, but I'm also happy she's generally scared of knives and so I don't have to worry about her climbing somewhere and...

Mine has a wooden knife that he loves to "cut" wooden food with, basically held together by Velcro. Not a bad start. But I'm planning to get him a real starter knife as soon as possible.

My wife is brainwashing him to be a fan of FC Barcelona, so I feel I earned the right to mess him up when it comes to knives lol

No Shigs for him, but once he's old enough he will get three hand me down (let's call them heirloom maybe) custom knives I commissioned after he was born (well, it took me a while). I think I mentioned that "project" here before.

As he was born in NYC to Catalan and German parents, he's getting one made in NY, one made in Germany and one made in Catalonia...

Back