Kiritsuke as main knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cessnex

Reaction score
Just as the title says.. im thinking about getting a kiritsuke as a go to knife, any thoughts?

Would not work for me as a go to.

Another active thread right now compares k tip Gyuto uto (I assume you're meaning double bevel) to the traditional Gyuto. Lot of relevant info there.

I think that would be difficult depending on what you're doing.

A single bevel kiritsuke is a highly specialized hybrid knife. Meant to do the work of an usuba and a yanagiba. So unless you need to do katsuramuki on daikon and slice boneless protein with the same knife I think it would be a frustrating experience. The thing about a true kiritsuke is, you should be proficient with usuba and yanagi before even trying one. Unless you just want one because it looks badass then by all means get one.

Maybe get a kiritsuke as a supplemental knife to see how you like it, and then you'll have a better idea (and more experience) to know if you can make the transition. Sell it off if it doesn't work for you.
And the double vs. single bevel is a pretty key distinction that should be clarified to get the most useful advice.

Back