Photos of new stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I thought I would post photos of the new stuff as I get it cleaned up.

1st batch is some Amboyna Burl

b4020.jpg

I will be adding these to the web store shortly.

I'm jonesing for a fix... I ain't got any will power! Order sent.

Oh, you were the one who bought that, I should have known... It does look nice.

Stefan

This came from a big chunk I bought from "You Know Who", sight unseen.
I only had to pay double retail. I am subsidizing these with some walnut I got a killer deal on. That way I can price them as they should be.

I forgot to ask;
Do they use walnut on kitchen knives?
w002.jpg

I thought I would post photos of the new stuff as I get it cleaned up.

1st batch is some Amboyna Burl

b4020.jpg

I will be adding these to the web store shortly.

I think Butch was looking for some of this. Looks good. I love the two tone amboyna burls.

and i only have my phine to use right now :( need internet on my net book soon

This is a better photo of some of the walnut blocks I added to the web store.

I don't know what it is, but the one on the bottom right looks wicked cool.

EDIT: If you click the picture, it brings you to the Burl Source site. It's walnut.

Here is a little more walnut. They are darker in real life.

Here are some more I just finished getting posted in the store.

Now, back to work. Only 7 or 8 more boxes of blocks left to get cleaned up.

Neat stuff!
Are those lines that run the length of the flamed redwood part of the grain? They look like they must be since they're kind of wavy (i.e. not ground in).

Neat stuff!
Are those lines that run the length of the flamed redwood part of the grain? They look like they must be since they're kind of wavy (i.e. not ground in).

The grain does weird stuff on the curly redwood. It is caused by the stress of holding up a tree a couple hundred feet tall.

These are some strange pieces.
Most are spalted oak and a few pieces of maple.

Man....saving money for Ashokan atm....After next week, game on! I expected the locust to darken a little......wow

Cool stuff, that oak is really interesting. That mac nut has a strange color, but the same happened to mine - its a bit reddish before it goes into stabilizing but seems to lose its color during the process. I haven't worked much with it, have to see what it looks like when finished but it shouldn't be much different fro what you show here.

Stefan

The macadamia I had started out the olive/gray color.
Had been sitting outdoors and had discolored from rain and moisture. Slightly spalted.
I like this color better than the pink when fresh cut.
It stabilized really good. Lot of weight gain.

In case you haven't guessed.......
I really like redwood!
I'm not the only one, Redwood Burl has been my very best selling wood this year.

I am too tired to add these to the webstore tonight, but I will be loading them into the store tomorrow. Some of these are from my redwood guy's private stash.

I have also extended the redwood sale until the 10th because after these there are still about 4 or 5 dozen more redwood blocks to get cleaned up.

These are what we call red heart maple burl.
They were cut from a large maple burl that had started to die in the center. That area turns red, orange and other colors that are darker than normal maple burl.

You guys just about cleaned me out of the last batch of Redwood Burl so I figured I should add some more.
These are the ones I just finished adding to the webstore.
Click on the photo to go to that part of the store. Most of these were cut oversized.

Latest posts

Back