Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get my Globals sharpened? South FL

Question Where to get my Globals sharpened? South FL

Hello All-

I have a set of Globals that I use for everyday cooking. I use them on a end grain Jon boos block.

I get that most of you sharpen your own knives, but I already have too many expensive hobbies (sailboats, photography, wine, watches) so I just want to take my knives to someone that will know how to sharpen them well. I really haven't found anything in my area, and I was hoping someone may know of someone local to me.

I would really only want to send them away as a last resort, as I am going to have a tough time doing much in my kitchen without my knives, and I like to eat.

I should also add that I steel the knives pretty regularly, with an oval shaped steel. It's not ceramic.

So thoughts? Also include what you think this should cost, ballpark figures work for me.

Thanks!!

Well, where do you live?
    I know a really good sharpened who does a knife for $10...and he's actually very GOOD! I think it depends on where you are, because $10 is pretty cheap.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I don't doubt there's someone near you who can do it, but: if you have trouble finding anyone, are completely against sending your knives away, and you don't want to invest the time to learn sharpening yourself... buy a Chef's Choice electric sharpener, read the manual, and only use it when you must. It's really not as bad as everyone says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I don't doubt there's someone near you who can do it, but: if you have trouble finding anyone, are completely against sending your knives away, and you don't want to invest the time to learn sharpening yourself... buy a Chef's Choice electric sharpener, read the manual, and only use it when you must. It's really not as bad as everyone says it is.
    Agree, with one stipulation - make sure you get the model for Asian knives, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-3.../dp/B000FKV96Y
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

id suggest something else, not a stone but not the Chefs Choice
    global MAKES this, so im pretty sure itd do well
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/global...rpener-p120703
    and the Fiskars sharpener is really great, really cheap too. i was astounded by it. shaves arm hair, easily.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac/ro...arpener-p19912

You should get two stones: a 500 or 1k stone and a 6-8k stone for $100-$200. You'll be set for life unless you end up being a junkie. The Chef's Choice for asian knives works well but you should not use the coarse slot unless the others don't work. With regard to your steel, the grooves need to be fine. It should feel just slightly rough to the touch. Otherwise, you are mangling your edge (which might be good if you like microserrations). I'd probably send them to Dave Martell for sharpening if you really want someone else to do it but this is expensive. I'd get an extra knife to tide you over while you're waiting, too.

First off, thanks for all the input.

As to where I live, I am in boca raton.

My steel is just a little rough to the touch, when I bought it I stressed I didnt want anything too aggressive.

I think I would prefer just taking my knives to someone local so they can sharpen them for me. Around $10 a piece works for me, I would just want confirmation that the guy is good. I really enjoy using my Globals and I plan to have and use them for some time to come.

Thanks again.

I find it quite risky to send them to some local. Powertools most sharpeners use with softer knives ruin your Globals in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Oniram View Post
    First off, thanks for all the input.

As to where I live, I am in boca raton.

My steel is just a little rough to the touch, when I bought it I stressed I didnt want anything too aggressive.

I think I would prefer just taking my knives to someone local so they can sharpen them for me. Around $10 a piece works for me, I would just want confirmation that the guy is good. I really enjoy using my Globals and I plan to have and use them for some time to come.

Thanks again.
    I would be very reluctant to trust a local sharpener with your set of Globals. Please reconsider learning to sharpen them yourself.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I once acquired a chef's kit from a pawn shop. The knives had been sharpened by a local service using a belt sander. They were not pretty. It took a lot of grinding to make the edges usable.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig