Quantcast
Blackwood Hurts! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackwood Hurts!

Yikes! That's a good thing to point out.
    At least your neck stayed safe, right?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

LOL just pulled the trigger on a positive air respirator. Hoping it keeps the discomfort and glasses fogging down so I won't use it as a scarf.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I started working ebony again lately. I use a respirator and the only thing that bothers me most is that ebony dust stains my hands. It makes my skin itch somewhat if the dust lands on it (it is almost as fine as a black pigment), but a shower after work takes care of that. Ebony is still one of my favorite woods, along with Arizona desert ironwood and cocobolo.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

So, my belt sander crapped out on me...well not exactly, but one of the pulleys has a big wobble and won't hold a belt...so I had to true my blackwood ferrule and stabilized lacewood I'm working BY HAND, so I could do my glue up in time to finish shape the rest of my handle, before all of my time goes to Fire training. Needless to say, even truing a piece, by taking thousandths of an inch off sucked!
    I can't get over how hard that blackwood is. One positive, was less dust kicked up in my face when I sanded by hand, I guess.
    09/06

Did you sand on something flat? I hate doing hand work like this for anything more than an inkling of time.

Yup, I tool my 50 grit belt and held it tight against a granite slab from Lee Valley. Man I love that place!
    I'm actually thinking I might just get the 1"x30" belt sander sometime fairly soon, an just use mine for the disc sander.
    09/06

I was looking at a 1"x30" just recently also, and I couldn't get by without my granite engineers plate myself. I got mine from Woodcraft. You might consider a good cabinet makers fine rasp for a back up they tend not to ever brake down. More seriously I'm experimenting with a drum sanding bit in the drill press for initial shaping not sure how it would work on flats on hidden tang knives. I'm thinking with the table set at 45 degrees and a fence might get most of the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Did you sand on something flat? I hate doing hand work like this for anything more than an inkling of time.
    Good quality 6x48 belts that are attached with spray adhesives to a granite plate are a great way to flatten wood and will last a long time. I also use a good quality 3M sand paper on top of granite plates to finish handles with metal spacers - you get the whole surface dead flat. Been doing it for over 2 years now and haven't modified the approach much.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I was scolded yesterday by one of our customers.
    He is a retired Physician.
    I was cutting some wood on the bandsaw and not wearing a mask.
    I normally just wear my mask while sanding.
    He explained that a lot of the dust from wood as well as other sources will accumulate and can induce pneumonia.
    Today I have been wearing my mask while doing anything that makes dust.

Now I just have to figure out a way to stop dust from coming through the hole for my cigarette. (this is my favorite emoticon)
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    INow I just have to figure out a way to stop dust from coming through the hole for my cigarette. (this is my favorite emoticon)