Affordable Honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovidah

I'll make you a sponsor offer you can't refuse...
Reaction score
Hello,

Just thought I'd throw this out here. I'm just a simple home user (but cooking afficionado) who wants to buy at least a half-decent honesuki. As I always buy my chicken whole (I never buy parts) I do a lot more deconstruction of chicken than most households so I figured I 'deserve' the little upgrade. I've beenusing a cheapo Victorinox boner for the last few years and while that works I hate how it always seems to get dull the second I pick it up - and I don't like steeling it continuously.
To replace it I'm basically looking for a simple, affordable, tough / chip-resistant, easy to sharpen honesuki that does have some decent edge retention. Also, I really prefer it NOT to have a rounded spine; I always use the back of the blade to scrape meat from bones and as long as they back still has nice square sharp edges this works really well.

I've already eliminated the Tojiro DP (don't like sharpening VG-10) and Fujiwara (seems a bit soft).

Right now I'm considering:
-Carbonext ($104): I love my carbonext gyuto and especially how easy it sharpens. Considering this is a blade that might occasionally see some abuse speaks highly for it. Also I think the semi-stainless seems a nice compromise that seems to fit the bill for my situation where it only sees occasional use (I tend to debone a few chicken every couple of weeks and then freeze the parts)
-Misono carbon ($111): Of course it's easy to sharpen, but I have no idea how it matches up to the Carbonext. It's in the same price range, but a lot heavier. Since I have no experience with honesukis I have no idea whether this is a good or a bad thing. Also, I'm a bit worried that I might have rust / maintenance issues when I occasionally don't use / oil / maintain it for a few weeks at a time. Is this fear justified?
-Hiromoto SLD ($70 - 77 with shipping): It's a lot cheaper than the carbonext. I guess what's putting me off is 2 things: I don't know whether the steel would be better or worse (especially in ease of sharpening department) and more importantly, the handle. It looks like an actual wood handle - and a flimsy one at that. Considering I'm using it for nothing but chicken I'd rather prefer the stabilized pakka wood on the Carbonext because it seems more hygenious (and can take a thorough cleaning). Seems to have less blade height as well, so it seems to give less longevity in the long run.

Anyone have experience with one (or several) of these blades? Any others I should be considering?

For sake of completeness the questionaire:

Netherlands - EU

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Honesuki

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western - because of the hygiene issue and ease of maintenance. Preferably pakka-wood or something that can survive the occasional dip in a soapy water bath

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
standard; 145-150

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, but it will occasionally see a few weeks of 'downtime' so I'm not sure whether a full carbon is a good idea.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Preferably around a 100-120 dollars maximum. I'd like to spend as little as possible but considering I do want this to be the one (and only) honesuki I buy in my life I don't want to make this the main deciding factor. If need be I'd rather put the purchase off for a little longer to get something that fits the intended purpose better

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Taking apart chicken into seperate parts and deboning thighs, sometimes legs. Anything else (like trimming meat) only comes secondary as I plan to get a proper petty for that at some point anyway. Also, I do have a meat cleaver so I do not intend to crush bones with it.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Cheapo Victorinox

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Less relevant; but I do tend to go 'softly', cutting through the joints, using my fingers a lot (instead of riding/cutting along bones) and scraping with the back of the blade

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Edge retention, ease of sharpening (hate sharpening that curvy point), different blade style.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No, don't care. Only hygiene comes in as a factor here

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
As I said I haven't had a honesuki here so I'm relying on you guys to explain me what's better

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I can do my own thining if it's necessary; as it is I expect all knives I currently selected to need it.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
At least more than the 2 chickens my victorinox does... :p

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
I have seperate plastic boards for chicken / meat work, but the blade doesn't touch the board much anyway

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Considering purchasing a 3000 intermediate. Otherwise it'll get finished on either a 1000 or 5000-6000.

I have the Misono Swedish Carbon (lefty), also got the saya, both from JCK. I've forced a patina and never had problems with rust after leaving for awhile or not being vigilant with wiping. I'm a home user and it seems to hold its edge well, cut through cartilage and back bones of ~1.5 KG chicken without problems. Spine/choil are fairly flat so would work for scraping (may want to touch up choil)

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac-professional/honesuki-boning-knife-p18104What about the MAC
BON_60___Japanes_4cbb76b2f06b7.jpg

Hiromoto from jck is great and a great value.

The Itonomonn butcher has tickled my fancy, but I'd rather go for a true honesuki. Although I do have to admit it looks absolutely badass.

While digging around I found some movies.... seems like the Misono and the MAC are very handle-heavy; doesn't seem optimal to me... or is my reasoning wrong there?
Does anyone know about the balance on the Hiromoto or the Carbonext (might be same as Kikuichi)?

Another thing I dug up was the Masahiro Bessaku on bluewayjapan. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-MA...hash=item58d3ee193e:m:m2Duy67Qy569D4PfhgROhqA
What struck me most is that it looks exactly like the 'Hiromoto'. http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Hiromoto.html
Interestingly enough the kanjis on the Hiromoto look more like the Masahiro than the other Hiromoto knives - although admittedly I have nu clue what they say. Anyone know what's going on here?

First of all - I had the Itinomonn butcher. A great knife, but not a replacement for honesuki. The butcher is more for work on large animals in hanging position IMO. A total overkill for a chicken. But the knife is very strong.

I had Fujiwara FKM - did not like it too much. Way too butt-heavy with that massive western handle (and metal bolster). Edge holding was just OK.

I now have the Hiromoto SLD and really, really like it. Edge holding very good - I can get it shaving sharp. The simple handle (looks like walnut, I am not 100% sure though) works well (I do consider conversion to WA as that is more to my taste). It is practically stainless - I have barely any patina on it (more like a very weak clouds and even those did not come from meat). A very good value and I would definitely buy one again. I give the handle a rub with board butter here and then, it gives me no troubles.

You kind of lost me with your comments about the Vic instantly losing its edge. I've never had anything like that kind of problem with their knives. That said I switched a few months ago from a Vic boner to the Hiromoto mentioned above for my chicken work. I tend to change knives when I want to try a different pattern not because of any special desire for better edge holding. Most pro grade knives hold an edge adequately for my use. The Hiromoto is working great for me.

Hi,

had the Tojiro as my first Honesuki. Worked pretty well. I liked the handle and the steel is pretty "decent". But I'd prefer a true singlebevel Honesuki I think. For a first try, I would still recommend it.

Regards, Iggy

+1 Matus

I'd add that the Tojiro VG10 is decent but quite hard to sharpen. From what I've read SLD is comparable to Ginsako and although they have alot of Chromium they are easier to sharpen.

Allright thanks for the input all. I guess I'll be giving the Hiromoto a really serious look. Pricing is very attractive and it sounds as if it may be the better option balance-wise.
I'll pop an e-mail to Koki to ask him about the odd resemblances with the Masahiro...will let you guys know if I find out anything interesting.

anyone ever noticed that hiromoto honesuki is almost an identical clone to masahiro's budget "bessaku" line... same "special steel" (which I think means not stainless but not reactive) same handle even has the brass rivets too iirc

anyone ever noticed that hiromoto honesuki is almost an identical clone to masahiro's budget "bessaku" line... same "special steel" (which I think means not stainless but not reactive) same handle even has the brass rivets too iirc
Go back one page... ;)
Already shot him an e-mail to ask about it.

Funny enough you can add the buttermilk knife and another brand called 'Masano' to that resemblance list.

Go back one page... ;)
Already shot him an e-mail to ask about it.

Funny enough you can add the buttermilk knife and another brand called 'Masano' to that resemblance list.
cant believe i missed that and ive read this through a few times... so I thought...

would love to hear what the response is. Don't think the buttermilk knife is all THAT similar though, it looks like it has a bit of a different grind by the look of it (sorta wide bevel almost?) and the super badass crossbones make it well... super badass. :wink:

Yeah you're right; not sure the buttermilk one is the same... Although hard to judge the grind from a few photo's the grind definitly looks a bit different. What really sets them apart is that they're also offering lefty models at no extra cost.

So far I've had a response from bluewayjapan; he doesn't know what material the Bessaku is apart from it being 'semi-stainless'. That doesn't really rule out SLD. He also said Masahiro is an OEM supplier so there will be a lot of comparable blades by other brands. Who knows; it's not unlikely that the buttermilk one is made by Masahiro (although that doesn't rule out differences in specifications), but I would be a bit surprised if the Hiromoto turned out to be an OEM blade.

Minor update: Koki doesn't know if they're different or not. At first he thought they were different blades from different makers but when he saw the similar looks and handle he was unsure whether they were the same or not, as he hadn't handled them in person (and the Bessaku is rather vague in specifications / steel).
He seemed pretty honest about it, so I doubt he's intentionally hiding anything there.

So I the only way to get any certainty is to put them side by side. So who's looking to double their honesuki collection? :D

Back