Advice on cooking 1/2 a pig

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 1/2 a pig to cook for lunch tomorrow. I plan on putting it in a low oven overnight (8 hours) at the Retaurant. Then letting it rest, and reheating in my weber ( at home) with a some wood chips at a higher temp to crisp up the crackle.

Has anyone done something similar? Any thoughts on temps? I haven't done anything like this before, so I'm happy to hear other options

Thanks in advance

I forgot to mention the 1/2 pig weighs 17kg

I'd stuff the rib cavity with a butterflyed pork butt, it'll help keep the ribs and belly from drying out too much. And if you have an injector on hand, injecting a broth/stock of some sort will really bump up your flavor game.

I did a lot of this kind of stuff at Cochon. Your method is solid, just remember to season the ever living **** out of every surface. Herb pastes on the non skin surfaces is a good place to go.

A brûlée torch also helps crisp skin that just won't get right.

Next time you want a swine soirée, pm me and I'll talk you through boning and stuffing whole suckling pig.

The pork but works well for that, but may not be necessary in such a small pig.

Injectors definitely help to season the internal muscles, but again 80# isn't a huge pig.

Awesome, thanks guys

I don't have an injector, I could stuff the rib cavity with some beef cheeks?

Should I put a pan of water in the oven with the pig for the first cook?

Yes to beef cheeks. You could toss them in garlic and chopped hard herbs and just pack it in.

Most of the times I've done pigs overnight in an oven it was in a wood fired oven after the fire is banked. I would put water in there, but never did in a conventional oven.

Another thing to consider is the startling amount of fat that is going to render out of that pig. Make sure you have a deep roasting pan, and maybe put a pan of water that can double as a catch tray.

I'm spoiled for space/resources, so I go with what I know for the most part. I'd definitely find a buttress of some sort for the cavity, otherwise as said you'll get some differentials regarding doneness, the size of the pig doesn't really matter in this regard IMO. Good call on the fat collection Andre. I've only done it in a pretty size-able smoker where run off wasn't an issue. Do you have time/space to do a quick brine Huw? I'd think a medium to deep lexan would afford a pig of that size...

On the fat collection: after many fat spills we had a pig "sled" made with a tap in the corner so you could pull it over the edge of the oven and drain it into a bucket.

Like Josh, I was pretty spoiled. The most fun I have had was breaking the breastplate and wiring the pig flat to a metal frame and cooking it over coals overnight. For doing batches of small pigs I would miss a jet net. Hand trussing multiple pigs can be a drag.

You might consider a little baking soda with the salt if you salt the skin. It will help you with crisping it . Maybe 2 tsp/ 1/2cup salt. We used our house BBQ dry rub. You can score if your going to rub the salt mix in. For such a little guy, keep your temp low , low.

I ran my smoker 225 f for small pigs in my BBQ like this. Sometimes it ran a just little hotter . 120c is about 250 f. That's certainly in the right range. If you doing it over night , I would probably go a little lower, maybe 110c. You can alway leave it in a little longer if you don't hit your target temp in the am. If you rub it, give it time before you roast it.

I just made up some salt mix with fennel seeds, fresh Bay leaves and Garlic, I have seasoned the underside already, I'm gonna score and rub the skin just before I pop it in the oven.

It was a beautiful thing watching how well 4 beef cheeks filled the cavity between the belly & ribs. Fit like a thumb in a bum as my dad would say.

I ran my smoker 225 f for small pigs in my BBQ like this. Sometimes it ran a just little hotter . 120c is about 250 f. That's certainly in the right range. If you doing it over night , I would probably go a little lower, maybe 110c. You can alway leave it in a little longer if you don't hit your target temp in the am. If you rub it, give it time before you roast it.
Thanks Mike, I'll go with 110c I've got plenty of time in the AM to play around.

I would rub the skin early Huw. Crisper skin. I know your gonna blast it hot later. It sounds delicious already.

Stuffing the cavity
7ED5CBAE-6240-45B2-8B77-C58821817A2F_zpsibq6v2xl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Rubbed and ready
9B06408E-40F1-4822-8192-3439950A83ED_zpsspx0ir61.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If you can make it in time for lunch tomorrow Rami you are more than welcome. Otherwise I can express post some leftovers :D

I know we're joking around but I can't say I wasn't tempted. Have fun mate. Happy birthday.

It is only a few hours of driving from where you are, Rami. Leave now, and you will be there by sun-rise.

Looks good, I'm kind of jealous. Bbq season is just about to kick off and I'm not doing an event this year.

I know I'm a little late and it seems like you've started but you're certainly moving in the right direction. Personally I like to cook it on on their backs, if I'm cooking running style I'll stuff the cavity. Smoke it low and slow all night. This was the last hog from the summer, friends stag party.

I know I'm a little late and it seems like you've started but you're certainly moving in the right direction. Personally I like to cook it on on their backs, if I'm cooking running style I'll stuff the cavity. Smoke it low and slow all night. This was the last hog from the summer, friends stag party.

Looks nice Neens. Huw you've got to post some pic's before serving.

I would love to see how it comes out. Are you going to try to rest on its spine it leave it on a side?

Ok, I'm 61/2 hours into the first cook, things seem to be moving a bit slower than I imagined, but I don't have a reference. What internal temps should I be aiming for?

65 to 70 c , if your going to re cook on the Weber.

Latest posts

Back