coke bottle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consequence

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. (From singapore btw)

I'd just like to ask what 'coke bottle' is? I hear some people use that term and I have 0 idea what they are going on about.

Also, my only japanese knife i have right now is a hiromoto AS santoku(its addictive! Will get more soon), the spine and choil is a bit rough and a tad uncomfortable. I hear its possible to fix this?
With what tools can this problem be fixed? And what should i take note of?(anything to not grind off or touch to not affect integrity of blade etc)

Thanks!
Kia Jin

Welcome to KKF.

"Coke bottle" is a reference to the shape of the handle, which is similar to the shape of a bottle of Coca Cola, and American soft drink. Generally, there is a palm swell, with a flared butt.

Coke bottle:
lighter-coke-bottle-130214.jpg

"Coke bottle" shaped handle:
Img706.jpg

There is a good thread on easing the spine here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/24594-Choil-Spine-Easing-and-Rounding

Back some sandpaper with some tape to give it a bit of resilience, clamp and knife down and sand the spine and choil with a shoe-shining motion. I generally start at 80 grit and move up to 600 when doing this. If you want to save some sandpaper and since the Hiro AS is clad in soft stainless, you can use a file to knock down the 90 degree angles slightly first before proceeding with the paper.

Maybe a silly question, but how helpful is a coke bottle shaped handle when using a pinch grip? It seems like the 'palm' filling only matches up when using a hammer grip.

Maybe a silly question, but how helpful is a coke bottle shaped handle when using a pinch grip? It seems like the 'palm' filling only matches up when using a hammer grip.

The "snarky" answer is "hold both and see".

The "non-snarky" answer is that a pinch grip involves a bit more than just two fingers on the blade, it involves the rest of the hand lightly grasping the handle, and the attributes of the handle certainly affect the overall feel of the knife in the hand. As with anything, YMMV.

Surprisingly that was way over my head, initially.

This thread has become significantly more enlightening than it initially promised to be.

The "snarky" answer is "hold both and see".
Well the problem is if I want to hold something I have to order it; no stores or friends with nice collections around here...

But I see your point; I guess it's one of those 'personal flavour' things. Maybe I'm just lucky but as soon as I switched over to using a pinch grip I barely even noticed handle shape anymore as long as it wasn't too skinny. So it's a bit difficult to visualize for me.

On a sidenote: the coke bottle itself is shaped to imitate the curves of a female, representing the usual waist and hips. Interestingly enough that waist to hip ratio is one of the few universal beauty standards (at least in the eyes of men)... Regardless of culturaly determined preferences for body mass / fat, men always consider a 0.7 waist to hip ratio the sweet spot.

Back