Quantcast
Thoughts for edge angles in commercial kitchen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts for edge angles in commercial kitchen

Thoughts for edge angles in commercial kitchen

In the building I work at we have a restaurant in the bottom floor that I frequent. I talk to the people in the kitchen there often and earlier this week I was talking to the line cook and the manager about how they sharpen their knives. Turns out the guy they usually use just went AWOL and they have not sharpened their knives in about two and a half months. He asked if I wanted to pick up where he left off, and I leapt at the idea. I get to sharpen a good amount of knives...and they're going to PAY me for it!

So to my actual question...The knives in their kitchen are stainless, mostly dexter or forschner. I am thinking i'll sharpen at 17 or 18 degrees up to a 5k stone, and then put a 23 or 24 degree micro-bevel to retain the edge over extended use. Does this sound optimal for general use in a small restaurant?

The place is closed over the weekend so I told the guy that I would take his knife home today to sharpen it so he could try it out for a week or two. He knows I'm not a "pro" sharpener, and I wanted them to be confident I wasn't going to ruin all their knives.

Well the problem is how hard are they on them. If they are like the few I'll sharpen at my work I'll just do about a 20 degree on them with no micro and that will last about a week using a King 1k/6k stone. So you might want to either ask or even better try and see how hard they use them. If it's super hard then I would almost just do the 24 degree on it and leave it at that. But that's my .02$. But I think you'll do fine sharpening them.

personally id just find the bevel already on them and touch them up really good, is should be 18-20, and ya id add a microbevel but i wouldn't go higher than 25 on that type of steel, i have a forschner chefs knife and i can get it really sharp but if i do a microbevel like i do on my other gyutos it will just ruin the edge it can't take the steep angle of it.

I guess they will need a lot of thinning...

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsgibson View Post
    Well the problem is how hard are they on them. If they are like the few I'll sharpen at my work I'll just do about a 20 degree on them with no micro and that will last about a week using a King 1k/6k stone. So you might want to either ask or even better try and see how hard they use them. If it's super hard then I would almost just do the 24 degree on it and leave it at that...
    This is what I would do. I don't know that I'd go beyond 1k either. Many pros don't feel refined edges are aggressive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I guess they will need a lot of thinning...
    On a stamped D/R or Forschner? You're kidding...right?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I'd follow the bevels set by the previous sharpener, and stick to a 1k edge like TK suggested. Not only will the 5k+ edge be wasted on the cooks (more than likely), but taking soft bubblegum steels like you find in a Forchner to 5k is ... I donno, like putting a spoiler on your 1988 AMC Eagle wagon. Sure, it's there when it's sitting in your driveway, but the first time you get it on the road the damn thing blows off.

Think low grit dual bevels at about 18/20 deg. If I was in your shoes & only had stones I'd use a 500x stone (max) and de-burr with a ceramic rod as my first choice. I'd ask for opinions and adjust from there. If they like this then continue them all this way but maybe once in awhile tweak one knife for testing and ask for opinions on this one.

The thing is that these knives are soft & thick and have no edge holding ability. If you refine the edge too much they will fail quickly, leaving them coarse/rough will not only allow for them to tear through the food (I know sounds awful) but will also provide them with what they expect from their knives. And while I can understand wanting to give them something more than they're used to (impress them) I also know from experience that you'll be better served to meet their immediate expectations than to blow them out of the water on day #1 just to gave to come back on day#2 to re-sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    On a stamped D/R or Forschner? You're kidding...right?
    No. Knives that have been neglected (just steeled) have become quite thick right behind the edge. In those cases thinning is the major part of the sharpening job.

i gotta disagree on the 1k edges for pro environments... i mean I'm not sharpening expert by any means, however i do work in a pro kitchen and i use to only have a 1k stone a couple years ago. I can tell you now i much more prefer a more refined edge to work with and it also holds up much better. Id say 3-5k is perfect for restaurant use but thats just my .002 from personal experience