"8 inches is too long"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanHumphrey

Reaction score
(I'll pause a moment to allow the giggles from the peanut gallery to subside.)

While I was researching for the knife I bought in my other thread, I was bothered by the fact that I was looking for a ~6-7" knife for my girlfriend, which felt quite good (we only ever cook for two, really), and most quality knives really started at 8". The knife I usually use for slicing is 5.5", while the sentiment here and on every other knife forum was that the only thing better than an 8" chef's knife was a 10" chef's knife (except maybe a 12" chef's knife), and yet my 8" felt huge and unwieldy, so I set out to try to figure out why.

The knives I looked at for this were my 8" chef's from my cheap Hampton Forge set from Target, the Chicago Cutlery 8" chef's I got later thinking it was better (but hate the very square handle on), my 5.5" santoku, and my girlfriend's 6.5" santoku.

What I realized was, I had been put off from 8" knives by the one in the Hampton Forge set, which is not only 8" but very heavy (a little over half a pound) and with a crazy-oversized handle that's so thick it's fatiguing to hold. Setting aside the shape of the handle on the CC knife, I picked it up and mocked using it a bit, and you're all right - the 8" length is fine, but I'd like it to be more like 6oz and with a handle that's comfortable.

I wonder if some of the opposition to bigger knives from non-chefs is due to experiences with knives like that (I'm sure Target sells a million of them, and other sets may be similar). I'm a 50th percentile size M man (5'11", 175lbs), so the problem would be even worse for some men and most women.

Also, for whatever reason, I mostly used a paring knife and what I now know was a boning knife (maybe 5", give or take) when I was little, and I never bothered to get used to larger knives when I was an adult since I did very little actual cooking until a couple of years ago.

Does anyone else think that might explain the preference some people have for the shorter knives and feel intimidated by 8"-10" chef's knives?

Paring knives are typically made from thin stock so still cut when blunt, larger knives from thicker stock don't work when blunt, so the paring knife is easier to use, and the habits start.

180 is a good size for a lot of things, though I have found 240 to be the sweet spot for me. The 180 gets used if I'm just slicing bits for a sandwich or having a snack

I guess it depends what you are comfortable with.
I've started with many types and sizes of blades, i prefer blades of 11 to 12 inch. I can do many petty tasks with a long sujihiki, what amazing blades.

I think one of the problems is that amateurs often use a hammer grip, which gives (in my opinion) less control. I only really started appreciating larger (and longer) blades once I learned the pinch grip and proper technique with a guide hand.

It's all about what you're used to. Knife sets almost never have a chef's knife larger than 8" or 210mm. People see those as the big knives and likely use (these days) the 7" santoku or 5.5 to 6" utility + what TB noted about the smaller knives working "better."

I used to use smaller knives till I went Japanese. Then many were lighter, more nimble and now I am a 270mm addict. Rarely using anything else and I am a home cook. My wife is still growing, first using a 165mm santoku, but working her towards a 210mm gyuto next

All of the above responses are true. There are so many variables that determine what 'feels right': the size of your work surface; the weight, length, depth, and balance point of the blade; cutting technique, grip preference and other ergonomic factors; etc.

At the job, I have lots of workspace, so my 'line knife' is 225mm, but my main prep knife is 275. Different knives, different jobs. They both feel 'right' for their intended use.
At home I work on an 8"x28" board. My 'go to' is a gyuto; for a long time I used 210mm Konosuke HD that clocked in at 98g (laser), but I recently switched to a 185mm Shigeharu that weighs 174g (workhorse). Two totally different knives, but both feel and perform to my expectations.

Once you start exploring outside the usual collection of knives (purchased, gifted, inherited) found in most households you'll find a whole new universe.

My main work knives, one is 300 mm and small one is 270 mm.

Love my board, might order a 6 footer soon.

In case anyone cares, I did my dinner prep today with the 8" CC. It wasn't bad, but I tried to dice too many peppers at a time (probably 10" worth), so made rather a hash of it. Still, the knife didn't seem unwieldy, though I still don't like the handle. I'm going to see how I like the new santoku that's en route from Japan, and then see if I want a better 8" that I actually like.

Target sells knives???

Feast your eyes:

http://www.target.com/p/hampton-forge-continental-cutlery-set-15-piece/-/A-10936907

Knife blocks are like women. More isn't always better...

Back