Finalized Profiles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
All measurements are on the edge. For a measurement from tip to handle, add 15mm.

From bottom to the top:
280mm suji
240mm suji
255mm gyuto
240mm gyuto
180mm gyuto
165mm petty
150mm petty

Any other lengths can be arranged.

DSC_1820.jpg

What kind of PAPER steel is that? Ha! Get it!?....I'm sorry, I will show myself out.

Awesome, Marko. That 240 gyuto looks awesome. Get's my vote for passaround if you are still doing that...

Awesome, Marko. That 240 gyuto looks awesome. Get's my vote for passaround if you are still doing that...

Sure. 240mm gyuro is really a 255mm long, so it's not a ladies' knife. Actually, I have an order for a 240mm for a female chef. :)

M

The 255 gyuto was the first one that caught my eye, but they all look really great. Very nice range indeed.

DarKHOeK

They all look great.I am happy to see you are not trying to reinvent the wheel by putting some silly personal styling to the blade.Now get back to work:D

They all look great.I am happy to see you are not trying to reinvent the wheel by putting some silly personal styling to the blade.Now get back to work:D

Right, no reinventing wheels here. Maybe a little tweaking, but no more. Will be cutting steel today, including yours, Mario -

Very nice Marko, can't wait to get the suji though :).

Have to make handles first. That is the hardest, at the moment, believe it or not. Takes more time to make a handle than to grind and finish a knife.

M

Maybe, but constructing a handle (the way I do it - nippled construction, metal spacers, etc), shaping it, sanding and finishing it takes me about 6-7 hours. I can grind and finish a knife in about 5-7 hours, depending on a knife's length. This doesn't include profiling, pre-grinding, heat treating, etching name, etc. When I will be done with a knife, I will have over 20 hours in it.

PS: If I could make handles faster, I would not have discontinued offering them to the public. :(

I think you mistakenly left the cleaver profile out of the pic. :whistling:

hehehe, good thing I only like them 90 mm tall.

True, Marko. Handles with a fully mortized construction takes a lot of time, but I think it has one huge advatage over other constructions. When the wood is mortized through the spacers and the horn ferrule and the wood is the only material connecting with the tang, the shrinking of the different parts of the handle will not affect the fit of the handle on the knife making it crack apart in the joints.

Looking forward to seeing the finished knives. Your profiles are looking really excellent. I want one :) Need a new gyuto... With a "Hoek" handle of course :D

DarKHOeK

Right. Mortise and tenon construction handles can be friction fitted (as opposed to glued) so, one can remove the blade for polishing. This has been a big factor why I pursued this method from the beginning, plus the sturdiness of construction. The spacer, ferrule are "sitting" on a tenon (with epoxy being the binder), so when you shape the handle, you don't have to worry that heat will affect epoxy bond if they were simply glued and if metal spacers were used.

You need a new knife? No!

You need a new knife? No!

You're right, Marko. I really don't NEED a new knife. But I do WANT one. If all the guys in here just bought knives they strictly needed, the custom business would be a very sad story for most of the makers here. It seems you're doing pretty nicely, however, so my guess is that the want factor is pretty significant on the customer side :) In your case, I think it will be wise to get one of your knives before your back-log puts my order way into my retirement age and your success makes you absolutely impossible to deal with :D

DarKHOeK

Those look awesome. You definitely have a unique blade style. Congrats!!!

I was asked yesterday why the gyuto profile I posted didn't look identical to Masamoto gyuto's.

I never intended to copy Masamoto 1:1, though I took a Masamoto gyuto profile as a base for profiles I came up with. For one, I like a little more curve in mid section, a shorter flat area at the heel, and a little more curve at the tip. This profile will allow for a gentle rocking, while still well suited for pull/push cutting and tip work. I was told, this profile has 3 sweet spots, tip, heel and mid section.

So there will be two profiles to choose from, both derived from a Masamoto profile, but neither is a 1:1 copy. The profile at the top is narrower and has a less curve on the edge.

If you guys have any special requests like flatter profile, flatter area at the tip, longer flat area at the heel, and whatnot, I would need to know that in advance.

Thanks,

M

DSC_0076.jpg

The top knife is too thick on the edge. Might want to sharpen that at a 10 degree angle instead of 90...heheh, j/k I really like the profile.

The top knife is too thick on the edge. Might want to sharpen that at a 10 degree angle instead of 90...heheh, j/k I really like the profile.

That picture confirms that I am a lousy sharpener. :)

Nice work Marko. Those are looking like some fine working knives.

Back