Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: European Gesshin stone(s) passaround

Quote Originally Posted by Krakorak View Post
    Mark, I remember you already several days ago when thinking about possible, most probable candidates to join the passaround, as you are ever willing to try and test new things , but know from the other European passaround with the knife from Dan P. about the situation at work...But maybe we could put you at the very end of the passaround so that the hype at work might already be over when the stones would be ready to go to you...Count about one month for the start and then 14 days for one person - I hope it could work finally!!
    Sorry, wanted to write "remembered"...

I just just (11:30) came back from my tiny workshop after working for 2 hours on my first kitchen (!) knife (I have about 2 more hours of grinding ahead of me), so I am little 'high' but I am really impressed by the reactions here.

- Robin, my apologies, I got confused somehow.

- Dave, it is my (our) pleasure to offer a little in return to this great forum and all the nice folk around here.

Preliminary impression - it seems like we will go for the full set

One quick idea - I know there is time to iron out the details (and there will be a separate thread to collect the names and share the details), but should I also include a flattening plate? I am rather sure that the 400 will need flattening through out the passaround (the 2000 probably not, but if it gets a proper use than maybe as well). I have the diamond plate from Jon that I could include. Obviously - that would add to the total weight, but I just want to say that I can offer that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    I just just (11:30) came back from my tiny workshop after working for 2 hours on my first kitchen (!) knife (I have about 2 more hours of grinding ahead of me), so I am little 'high' but I am really impressed by the reactions here.

- Robin, my apologies, I got confused somehow.

- Dave, it is my (our) pleasure to offer a little in return to this great forum and all the nice folk around here.

Preliminary impression - it seems like we will go for the full set

One quick idea - I know there is time to iron out the details (and there will be a separate thread to collect the names and share the details), but should I also include a flattening plate? I am rather sure that the 400 will need flattening through out the passaround (the 2000 probably not, but if it gets a proper use than maybe as well). I have the diamond plate from Jon that I could include. Obviously - that would add to the total weight, but I just want to say that I can offer that as well.

Good point, with that diamond plate:-)..

I have a diamond plate, so no need on my account.

Nice

I have a diamond plate as well so no worries there.
    It should be enough if say half of participants have plates and can flatten right?

no need for a diamond plate.

All right, it seems that a flattening plate will not be necessary. I will then try to get the order in such manner, that those without one will not have to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakorak View Post
    Mark, I remember you already several days ago when thinking about possible, most probable candidates to join the passaround, as you are ever willing to try and test new things , but know from the other European passaround with the knife from Dan P. about the situation at work...But maybe we could put you at the very end of the passaround so that the hype at work might already be over when the stones would be ready to go to you...Count about one month for the start and then 14 days for one person - I hope it could work finally!!
    That's very kind of you, Jan. I indeed like to try new things and if I like it, write a review to share it with others. And if I really like it, I'm not unwilling to buy it right away . (I bought a Dalman gyuto right after his passaround.) But I'm indeed very busy at work now and have also promised two webshops (one of which is quite large in Germany as well) to do reviews of some of their knives. And I'm working with Cris on a new knife. So I guess I'll be busy until the summer. Now I don't know how long this stone passaround will last, and I'm definitely very interested, so if it lasts until the summer, I'd be more than happy to participate. But I guess that's too a bit much to ask.

Mark, Europe is a small place. Should you sill be interested once your schedule clears just drop me a PM and we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Mark, Europe is a small place. Should you sill be interested once your schedule clears just drop me a PM and we can work something out.
    I just want to add to that very kind, indirect offer of Matus that you would still have the chance to test the complete set as the 4000 stone will remain in his possession after the passaround...But maybe it won't be necessary at all if about 2-3 other people were interested in the passaround, if I count correctly...So let's wait...