European Gesshin stone(s) passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, this is a longer post, so let me divide it into manageable pieces:

The passaround:
We (Matus and I) would like to start a passaround with either only the Gesshin 4000 stone or a set of Gesshin 400, 2000, 4000 and 6000. We would like to keep this one Europe-only only as Jon is working on a large Gesshin stone passaround in the U.S. currently and shipping overseas wouldn’t make much sense anyway in this case. No limitation regarding the number of participants, the more, the better.

Rules:
Only members with at least 50 posts on KKF. Let’s keep it up to 2 weeks per person (you need to include at least 4 days for drying), insured shipping up to 100 € in case only the 4000 stone will be decided on, or up to 300 € in case of all four stones will be the choice. Please keep in mind that all 4 stones nicely packed will weight close to 5kg, while the single stone will be just under 2kg packed. Please share your experience and opinions here once you have had the chance to use the stones.

How did this all began:
To describe briefly the story which let us to this idea: Matus made a big order from Jon several months ago, for him and two friends including myself to save something on shipping as we both live relatively close to Matus. I ordered, among few other things, the 4000 stone and left it Matus for several weeks for some testing (not surprisingly, his impressions were highly positive). Unfortunately, he sent the stone to me being accidentally not completely dry yet (although he let it dry for 4 days which is enough normally) and it arrived quite wet, the paper box basically falling apart. And I also noticed that there is a long thin crack along the side of the „top“ surface – nothing really bad, but anyway, quite significant. First, we had the idea to mount the stone on a base, but decided to ask Jon for his opinion first. Jon answered something like „Hmmm, that’s not good - that’s not supposed to happen to this stone!“ and offered to send a new stone immediately as a replacement, although he knew the story with the imperfect drying…but believed it would likely be an issue with the stone rather than with the way Matus shipped it…And he even offered that we can keep the first stone!

So I ended up with two 4k stones and a strong feeling that we should reciprocate Jon for his generosity somehow…and came up with the idea that we could organize a passaround with the extra stone that we have…All the more that Jon expressed within a previous communication with me and Matus the opinion that the 4000 is an underrated stone that gets less attention (probably due to somewhat higher price) than it would deserve…and that he would be happy if more people had the chance to test it to see how awesome is it…Solely his words „I really love it…“ already say a lot :)…So I believe this is a great opportunity to let his wishes come true and also the reason why I would be really happy if the people involved could write something like a short review…

Matus kindly promised to mount the stone to a solid, plastic base to prevent eventual problems with the crack, but later on, he even offered to include his 400, 2000 and 6000 Gesshin stones into the passaround as well!

So the $1M question is:
Would you be in for just the 4000 stone passaround or for 400, 2000, 4000 and 6000 stones?

The pros and cons are obvious: more stones = more fun and even more eventual feedback for Jon, but it also means higher shipping costs…Matus found out that the shipping from Germany for an insured 5kg (it won’t probably weigh less) package within EU would be about 16 Euro, but, please, consider that it’s really just an example and the actual shipping costs from your country might be different and possibly higher! So check this out and and see whether the shipping cost is acceptable for you.

We really hope that there will be many of you interested, let’s wait for the results – if there will be a clear decision (let’s say 10 people would like to try the complete set and only 1 or 2 the 4k stone only, or vice versa) we will make only one passaround, but if there will be 2 significant groups of people (let’s say 5 and 5), we could even make two separate passarounds, the first one with the complete set and later on, if everything would be fine and the 4k stone would survive, the next one with this stone only! I assume that the passaround could start in about one month!

Once we collect your interest there will be a new thread (shorter, we promise) with the final rules, to collect the names for the (first) passaround.

Thanks,

Jan

im interested, but i also do have the 2k and 4k. 6k stones generally dont give edges that im lookin for in a kitchen knife, but i guess im in just to satisfy my HAD.

I am going to be completely honest and say that me and Jan have expected a little more interest :)

The Gesshin 4000 is a truly great stone and here is the chance for you to try one (or even a few others from my personal sharpening kit).

I know that most KKF memebers from not from EU, but if you are and have interrest, than do not hesitate :)

Hi, I would be interested to participate in the pass around... Of course the more stones the better...

I am going to be completely honest and say that me and Jan have expected a little more interest :)

The Gesshin 4000 is a truly great stone and here is the chance for you to try one (or even a few others from my personal sharpening kit).

I know that most KKF memebers from not from EU, but if you are and have interrest, than do not hesitate :)
I think what plays a big role is the relative obscurity of this part of the forum; I only 'saw' this sub-area a few days ago... I guess it would get a lot more air-time in the general forum.

In regards to the pass-around. I'm not sure whether I should wet my appetite for expensive stuff I don't necessarily need and is rather expensive to import... :p I'm trying my hardest NOT to become a collector!

Great initiative, guys! I'd love to participate, but I'm currently too busy at my work.

Yeah, I am also concerned about the lack of exposure - other threads in this subforum also get very little attention.

Let''s see how the situation develops over the weekend. Should it prove necessary I would then try to have the thread moved or link it also elsewhere on KKF.

hello
this is the first I'm seeing this post. I would love to get in on this passaround!
Shipping from Romania back may be expensive so I have to check if 5kg is significantly more than 1kg.
I have a 50% of DHL for my company, so maybe it's reasonable.

I'd like to participate if you'd trust me even though I haven't posted much here (I'm on the other forum and maybe you recognize me from there?). I'd be curious on the 4k but can do with the full package as well.

Also just noticed this thanks to daveb's note over in The Kitchen Knife. I'm in the UK and interested in the full set or just the 4k.
Great initiative, thanks to the organisers and hope that this will go ahead.

y'all should start browsing the forum by using the "whats new?" feature from now on...

I'd like to participate if you'd trust me even though I haven't posted much here (I'm on the other forum and maybe you recognize me from there?). I'd be curious on the 4k but can do with the full package as well.

Robert - you are most welcome to join :)

Robert - you are most welcome to join :)

Sorry for being a smartass, but i thought it's Robin... :scratchhead:

Anyway, the idea is really good, i am just not sharpening as much as i used to.
Although it would fill a gap in my sharpening stone gear.
Bit puzzled now. :dontknow:

I was also a bit unhappy yesterday after two days and with almost nobody interested...So many thanks to daveb also from me, that indeed helped a lot! And it already looks much better now:)!

Sorry for being a smartass, but i thought it's Robin... :scratchhead:

Anyway, the idea is really good, i am just not sharpening as much as i used to.
Although it would fill a gap in my sharpening stone gear.
Bit puzzled now. :dontknow:

I am sure Matus knows very well who Robin is inspite of this small error:)...And I really hope you will finally be in as well!

Great initiative, guys! I'd love to participate, but I'm currently too busy at my work.

Mark, I remember you already several days ago when thinking about possible, most probable candidates to join the passaround, as you are ever willing to try and test new things , but know from the other European passaround with the knife from Dan P. about the situation at work...But maybe we could put you at the very end of the passaround so that the hype at work might already be over when the stones would be ready to go to you...Count about one month for the start and then 14 days for one person - I hope it could work finally!!

Mark, I remember you already several days ago when thinking about possible, most probable candidates to join the passaround, as you are ever willing to try and test new things , but know from the other European passaround with the knife from Dan P. about the situation at work...But maybe we could put you at the very end of the passaround so that the hype at work might already be over when the stones would be ready to go to you...Count about one month for the start and then 14 days for one person - I hope it could work finally!!

Sorry, wanted to write "remembered"...

I just just (11:30) came back from my tiny workshop after working for 2 hours on my first kitchen (!) knife (I have about 2 more hours of grinding ahead of me), so I am little 'high' :) but I am really impressed by the reactions here.

- Robin, my apologies, I got confused somehow.

- Dave, it is my (our) pleasure to offer a little in return to this great forum and all the nice folk around here.

Preliminary impression - it seems like we will go for the full set :)

One quick idea - I know there is time to iron out the details (and there will be a separate thread to collect the names and share the details), but should I also include a flattening plate? I am rather sure that the 400 will need flattening through out the passaround (the 2000 probably not, but if it gets a proper use than maybe as well). I have the diamond plate from Jon that I could include. Obviously - that would add to the total weight, but I just want to say that I can offer that as well.

I just just (11:30) came back from my tiny workshop after working for 2 hours on my first kitchen (!) knife (I have about 2 more hours of grinding ahead of me), so I am little 'high' :) but I am really impressed by the reactions here.

- Robin, my apologies, I got confused somehow.

- Dave, it is my (our) pleasure to offer a little in return to this great forum and all the nice folk around here.

Preliminary impression - it seems like we will go for the full set :)

One quick idea - I know there is time to iron out the details (and there will be a separate thread to collect the names and share the details), but should I also include a flattening plate? I am rather sure that the 400 will need flattening through out the passaround (the 2000 probably not, but if it gets a proper use than maybe as well). I have the diamond plate from Jon that I could include. Obviously - that would add to the total weight, but I just want to say that I can offer that as well.

Good point, with that diamond plate:)..

Nice :)

I have a diamond plate as well so no worries there.
It should be enough if say half of participants have plates and can flatten right?

All right, it seems that a flattening plate will not be necessary. I will then try to get the order in such manner, that those without one will not have to worry.

That's very kind of you, Jan. I indeed like to try new things and if I like it, write a review to share it with others. And if I really like it, I'm not unwilling to buy it right away :). (I bought a Dalman gyuto right after his passaround.) But I'm indeed very busy at work now and have also promised two webshops (one of which is quite large in Germany as well) to do reviews of some of their knives. And I'm working with Cris on a new knife. So I guess I'll be busy until the summer. Now I don't know how long this stone passaround will last, and I'm definitely very interested, so if it lasts until the summer, I'd be more than happy to participate. But I guess that's too a bit much to ask.

Mark, Europe is a small place. Should you sill be interested once your schedule clears just drop me a PM and we can work something out.

Mark, Europe is a small place. Should you sill be interested once your schedule clears just drop me a PM and we can work something out.

I just want to add to that very kind, indirect offer of Matus that you would still have the chance to test the complete set as the 4000 stone will remain in his possession after the passaround...But maybe it won't be necessary at all if about 2-3 other people were interested in the passaround, if I count correctly...So let's wait...

Back